Turntable Pit in Northern California

Started by Kimkatkim, February 12, 2019, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimkatkim

Hi Everyone -

Many years ago - probably sometime in the late-seventies, early 80's there was a local model railroader that had built a S.P. gallows-style turntable based on a prototype located in northern California. I want to say that it was in the McCloud area - possibly part of the McCloud River RR. The unique thing about this turntable was that it was built on the side of a slope so that it required small trestle-like supports around most of it. It was a strikingly interesting structure and made for some great scenery under the turntable itself. I believe the modeler was Earl Johnson, who was a local dentist here in Grants Pass. OR and had modeled the Wolf Creek area which is in Southern Oregon. Is anyone here familiar with the prototype? I have looked and looked online for any pictures, but so far I have been unsuccessful locating anything. I thought I had found something perhaps 10 years or so ago online, but a recent search has turned up nothing. I have built the turntable in the past but lost it in a move many years ago. I have nothing left but the template I used for the rail under the turntable itself. I scratch-built all of it after studying Earls finished model that was on display in a local hobby shop at the time. Anyway, I am hoping someone out there has some info. Thanks in advance!

Kimberly :)

deemery

There's the 3' gauge Corkscrew Gulch turntable north of Silverton CO:  http://railroadglorydays.com/Corkscrew/

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

NKP768

Thanks Dave - this has been bugging the crap out of me since Kimberly posted it as I just read about this table and the the switchback
but couldn't put my finger on where it was. Now I can get some sleep.

Doug