F&SM G. Brill Co Scratchbuild

Started by SteveCuster, January 28, 2019, 04:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

PRR Modeler

Great job on the modeling and you nailed it with the detail parts.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dave K.

Was watching an old Allen Keller video on the F&SM, and there was G. Brill! :D

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone. I haven't seen that video in a long time but I remember borrowing it from my local hobby shop on VHS. I think George does a little clinic on signs and weathering flextrack on that video as well if I remember correctly.

I'm not quite done yet. I got the base laid out this morning.

First step was trying to figure out the elevations. This diorama will live right next to the other 3 I just built. Once I'm done this one I will run the road down the front and connect it to the dirt road in front of the casket company.

I modified the top layer and cut out a chunk of the third layer for the concrete base. I also accidentally pulled the main building off the base. No big deal to glue back on and it made it a bit easier to work the base.

I placed a few small rock castings around the scene. I have a few rock molds from Bragdon I use. They are large molds so I fill them and once they are dry I wrap them in a towel and drop them on the floor till they break into smaller pieces. Then I pick pieces that fit whatever I'm trying to use them for. It's very precision stuff.

I colored the rocks with some black and brown thinned out and spread some plaster over the diorama. After I mix my plaster I squirt a bunch of cheap brown craft paint into the container to give it a brownish tint.

The area in the front will be where the road will be. Once everything dries Ill start adding the scenery.

-Steve

Steve Custer

Dave K.

How cool watching this come together!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

WOW!!!!!!  Beautiful job.

Karl

jimmillho

PRR Modeler

Very cool. I've never used foam so this is different for me.
Curt Webb

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

Small update today.

I started putting down the first layer of scenery today. Still wet in this photo so it'll lighten up a bit. I felt like the hillside to the left of the structure needed something so I started building a billboard for it.

The rear of this billboard will not be seen on the layout so I kept the construction pretty simple and easy. I cut out a sign and glued it to some chipboard backer.

I framed out the sign with some scale lumber. I used what I had sitting on the desk that I had already colored. I think they are scale 2x6s.

Some posts glued in place.

A few front supports.

The good thing about using foam as a base is I just poked a few holes in it with a small drill bit and pushed the sign in place. I'll add the rear supports once the glue and scenery dries.

I need something for the area to the left up top. The area will be up against the tracks but it looks very empty to me. Maybe a water tank or some trackside sheds.

-Steve
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

SteveCuster

Thanks Curt.

I made some progress on filling the area in the rear of the diorama yesterday.

I built this little shed to fill the area. I didn't want anything too complicated because the area will be difficult to see from the front of the layout. I colored the walls with Apple Barrel Pavement.

Test fit to see how it feels.

Added the roof and rafter tails.

I thought the area around the shed was too plain. I built this little coal bin with some scrap wood I had on the bench. The base for the coal pile is a piece of blue foam painted black and sprinkled with cinders.

I added some scenery and a few details to the area. I also added more coal to the bin.

It looks more complete to me now but it still needs quite a bit of detailing. The ground cover is still drying in this photo so it should lighten up a bit.

I started to work on the front staircase last night but in the process I broke off the whole front loading dock. I got everything back in place but I didn't want to mess around the area anymore last night. I'm going to try to get the stairs put together this afternoon and add some of the detail parts.

-Steve
Steve Custer

restocarp

A+ work, Steve. A simple but beautiful addition to the scene.

Matt

rpdylan

yes, nice work Steve!
    I see, like me, you use the Gallery Glass liquid leading!
Bob C.

richbeau

Wonderful work on G. Brill!
I remember that building from my first visit to F&SM during the 1986 NMRA Convention.
And thanks for using graph paper  ;)
--Rich

NKP768

Great looking build Steve - didn't George use the original building to cover an above ground switch machine?

Doug