Ethical Scratcbuilding

Started by rubbergauge, November 12, 2018, 02:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Rodger - we are not allowed to talk about nail holes! - but - the nails are punched and then filled.  Over time the filler falls out leaving a hole.  The nails are still in there.  Well - that's my understanding of things, anyway.  If all the nails had fallen out the clapboards would fall off the structure.

Cheers, Mark.

rpdylan

First rule of Fight Club....errrr,,,,,I mean Nail Holes,,,,Don't Talk about Nail Holes!! ha ha.. I for one like them. Its that hyper-realism thing that I think makes models seem more "real",,, if that makes sense....
Bob C.

Random

One joke about nail holes......:...:....

I just got an email reminding me that Tichy's cyber Monday deal runs though midnight Friday:  a good chance to save on those windows if you're so inclined.

Another source of plans for structures is older modeling magazines if you have access to back issues or one of the electronic back catalogs. If memory serves that's how George got his start.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

rubbergauge

Hi Guys and Gals,

Thanks for the comments. So my takeaway is it would be O:K to get a copy of a plan and build myself a similar structure for my own use. So what I'd like to try and build is an O scale version of the Fine Scale Miniatures Coal Bunker Kit #75. I've admired pictures of this kit and finally saw it built at Dick Elwell's layout during the Expo. I would like to try my hand at building this. So can anyone help me with an ho drawing that I could get dimensions off or resize.? I would be glad to pay postage and copy fees. I would also document my efforts on this forum.

Thanks,
Joe

ACL1504

Quote from: rubbergauge on November 30, 2018, 08:49:57 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Thanks for the comments. So my takeaway is it would be O:K to get a copy of a plan and build myself a similar structure for my own use. So what I'd like to try and build is an O scale version of the Fine Scale Miniatures Coal Bunker Kit #75. I've admired pictures of this kit and finally saw it built at Dick Elwell's layout during the Expo. I would like to try my hand at building this. So can anyone help me with an ho drawing that I could get dimensions off or resize.? I would be glad to pay postage and copy fees. I would also document my efforts on this forum.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,

Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send you the plans/instructions.

You can get them copied and then send them back.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Joe,

I got your email and there is no hurry to get the plans back. Don't just rush out to do it so you can send them back right away. Quite honestly, I'll probably never build the kit.

Yes, I agree, this forum is quite the resource.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

NEMMRRC

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 30, 2018, 02:03:45 PM
Joe,

I got your email and there is no hurry to get the plans back. Don't just rush out to do it so you can send them back right away. Quite honestly, I'll probably never build the kit.

Tom ;D

Not building kits is one of my fortes :-)

Jaime

deemery

Quote from: NEMMRRC on November 30, 2018, 07:20:37 PM
Joe,

Tom ;D

Jaime
I have a particular talent for starting but not finishing kits :-(

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Quote from: deemery on November 30, 2018, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: NEMMRRC on November 30, 2018, 07:20:37 PM
Joe,

Tom ;D

Jaime
I have a particular talent for starting but not finishing kits :-(

dave

Whew!  I was afraid I was the only one with a stash of half built kits....
Jerry

GPdemayo

I'm in the same boat as Dave.....of the 19 kits on the layout, only 4 have been completed.....and they haven't been weathered and planted yet.  :(

It must be something going around or some syndrome the shrinks haven't figured out yet.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

vinceg

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 01, 2018, 09:03:12 AM
I'm in the same boat as Dave.....of the 19 kits on the layout, only 4 have been completed.....and they haven't been weathered and planted yet.  :(

It must be something going around or some syndrome the shrinks haven't figured out yet.  ;D ;D ;D

I think it's called ADD or Attention Defic...
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

rubbergauge

So while I'm waiting for the coal bunker plans I thought I'd add this photo of a railroad I'm building in my yard. So could we consider these two sheds I build as scratch built model railroad structures?  :)

vinceg

Quote from: rubbergauge on December 02, 2018, 06:32:46 AM
So while I'm waiting for the coal bunker plans I thought I'd add this photo of a railroad I'm building in my yard. So could we consider these two sheds I build as scratch built model railroad structures?  :)

Or, better yet, fill out the forms and get them judged to see if they can apply to your Master Builder - Structures Achievement Award if you don't have one already!
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

deemery

Quote from: vinceg on December 02, 2018, 07:36:54 AM

Or, better yet, fill out the forms and get them judged to see if they can apply to your Master Builder - Structures Achievement Award if you don't have one already!

I'm sure some judge would tell you, "the prototype wouldn't be built that way." 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

NEMMRRC

I like the color you picked. I'm a tad jealous of the roof on those sheds.

Very nice. Send some of that sunshine these ways  ;D

Jaime