Started by Random, December 02, 2016, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

Roger...

Great structure.

Just cool
thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

richbeau

It's taken awhile but you've done an excellent rendition.
I love the signage and details. Wonderful work
--Rich

Opa George

Roger, a really gorgeous building with tons of character (and lots of ingenious details). Great job.
--George

Random

Thank you everyone for your comments.  This build has taken far too long, primarily because of lack of focus.  I've allowed other projects to pull me away and this structure has spend a lot of time on the shelf.  But with that said, its time for the final push.

That big blank back wall just screamed for a large painted sign.  Uneeda Biscuit signs seemed to have been everywhere so that was my choice.

I used my regular printed sign method.  For a large sign it is important to pull the layers apart carefully around all of the edges before moving to the middle or unfortunate results can occur (I tore a couple of large sign prints to learn this lesson).

Once the paper is split all the way around the middle separates easily.

The sign was applied with thinned canopy glue and a stiff brush was used to work it into the wall's texture.

I needed a shoe shine bench for the space next to the newsstand. 

I built up a platform from stripwood and attached a casting of an old leather chair.  I'm sure the owner found this chair tossed out by the road by someone who failed to see its value. 

The foot rests were made from another small block of stripwood and two tiny brass brads.  I filed the heads of the brads to make a narrow angled surface. 

The newsstand suffered from too much open space above the counter so I made an upper frame from which I hung more magazines.  The initial board did not extend low enough so I had to add and extension (not yet painted in this picture).

For the roof hatch I went to my scrap box and found the hatch from an ice reefer. 

I went into my bins of cutoffs and found small "sticks" to prop up the open windows.   

And with that the build is complete. 
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

And now, after all this time, lets have a grand tour.

The building is made to open up so that I have the ability to add lighting in the future.  I might also add a few more details and figures to the dining room and around the pool table.

Lets start the tour at the office entrance end.   I'm sure those upper windows are never opened so that smoke from the chimney doesn't enter the hotel.  (Architects... ;) )

Moving to the back wall we have the large advertising sign.  This wall is intended to face the tracks, thus the lack of windows. (No rail-fan special rooms here.)  The owner would probably love to sell some more ad space.

Coming around to the far end we have the outside stairs to the upper floors.  Wonderful for exiting in an emergency, I suspect more than one guest has slipped out this way to avoid the front desk.

And now we move to the front.  I added a few details on the sidewalk and a gentleman working the newsstand.  I also treated the awnings to an ink wash to take the newness away and  add a touch of wrinkle.

Finally a closeup view of the newsstand and shoeshine stand.

That's it for this build.  Hopefully Leroy's will find its way onto a layout soon.  The build was inspired by the original structure on George Sellios' FSM layout.  I used photos posted on this forum as reference. 

My thanks to George Sellios for his inspiration and those who posted the photos.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Rail and Tie

Absolutely loving all the details Roger. Great work!  everything about this makes it a really nice build.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Janbouli

Such a fine piece for your layout Roger, excellent modeling.
I love photo's, don't we all.

vinceg

The shoe shine station is very creative, Roger. Great looking diorama.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Zephyrus52246

A real masterpiece. Love the details and the interior.

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Excellent Rodger. I love the details.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Roger, that is a grand structure with so many wonderful details to engage the viewer. I have really enjoyed following this thread and take away lots of tips and inspiration. Thank you!
--Opa George

jerryrbeach

Roger,

WOW!!!!!  Such a wonderful structure with so many great details.  If I had to choose I think I would pick the news stand is my favorite.
Jerry

bparrish

Roger...

Very cool

The stick holding open the window is a very nice touch.  A great reward for a persistent observer.

Thanx......... What's your next project? ? ? ?

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Random

Thank's everyone. 

The next build will probably be related to finishing off the station scene in my Two cities layout diorama build.  I'll most likely start breaking out the structure builds and updating that thread only as they are added.  We'll see.

Cheers!
Roger Hines