GHQ Green (John Deere) 4020 Tractor

Started by Raymo, October 01, 2014, 04:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

About a month ago I referenced the GHQ Tractors during the building of the Bernard's Tractor Repair thread done by Postal Karl. I decided to put one of these together this past weekend and took a few photos during the process. This is more of a reference thread more than a build thread but it shows the process. The first two photos show the package and its contents.

Raymo

The pewter castings have very little flash and clean up fairly well. Some of my favorite tools for cleaning up metal casting  other then the #11 knife are the sanding sticks and the foam backed sand paper. Also, I found some shelf-liner material with super fine grit in one of the big box stores that works well for final sanding. Almost all the castings have these little "wicks" that are part of the molding process. Some are very tiny,other's stick right out

Raymo

Here are the 3 pieces that make up the main part of the tractor

Raymo

Most of the smaller castings are attached to the sprues which are easily removed with cutters and then cleaned up with the sanding sticks.

Raymo

There are 8 pieces that make up the 3 point hitch and the drawbar.I haven't installed the top link yet. There is at least one extra of each piece in case one goes flying during assembly.

Raymo

Once that has set up awhile, I installed the air cleaner, exhaust,throttle and the steering column.

Raymo

Here's the tractor ready for the paint shop. The wheels,fenders,steering wheel will be installed after paint

Raymo

Thanks for following along and see ya after paint. Raymo

NEMMRRC

What type of glue is best for these kits?

Jaime

ACL1504

Raymo,

Most excellent and great thread.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Raymo

Quote from: NEMMRRC on October 01, 2014, 06:40:28 PM
What type of glue is best for these kits?

Jaime
Jaime,I like the super glues made by Bob Smith Industries. I mainly use the thin( blue bottle) and the medium (purple bottle) for my builds. The trick to a good bond is to give the joints some tooth to adhere by either sanding or scraping the surfaces. I'll also use 5 minute epoxy for joints that need a good bond. Raymo

Raymo

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 01, 2014, 06:44:43 PM
Raymo,

Most excellent and great thread.

Tom ;D
Thanks Tom! I can't wait to you get back to your builds. Raymo

S&S RR

Quote from: Raymo on October 01, 2014, 04:48:03 PM
Here's the tractor ready for the paint shop. The wheels,fenders,steering wheel will be installed after paint

Can't wait to see the John Deere Green.  Looking good!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

MAP

Excellent thread Raymo.  Keep the photos coming. 
Mark

Raymo

John and Mark, hope to get this painted this week. Raymo