Chicago-Pneumatic Model 500 Compressor

Started by AndreasK, February 15, 2018, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndreasK

I am currently working on an H0 model of a large mobile compressor from the early 1940s, a Chicago-Pneumatic Model 500. This compressor was the largest compressor available from Chicago-Pneumatic at that time, weighing 7 tons. There is no model of this compressor available, not in any scale. So this model requires a lot of traditional, and some not so traditional, model building techniques. ::)

Luckily I soon discovered that the Model 500 used a standard Caterpillar diesel motor D-13000. This motor was quite common and among other things it was used to power large Caterpillar bulldozers. It is included in the kit for the Caterpillar RD-8 bulldozer offered by Rio Grande Models and it is also available separately as an electric generator.

http://www.riograndemodels.com/Images/LargeHO/3058.jpg (ftp://www.riograndemodels.com/Images/LargeHO/3058.jpg)

I have ordered the generator kit and some additional parts required. The parts arrived within a short time (Eric Bracher of Rio Grande Models is very flexible and fast!) and I am currently assembling the motor, making changes in details on the way to update the D-13000 from the late 1930s to the early 1940s.

Sadly up to now I have to rely on only one photo of the compressor, taken from the 1945 catalog of Barre, Vermont based construction machinery dealer Casellini-Venable (see attached). My search for additional photos, for dimensions or drawings of this compressor so far have not been successful. Even contacting the manufacturer Chicago-Pneumatic, that still exists today and has been very helpful with some general information, did not lead to any additional photos or data.  :(

Does anyone on this forum have access to photos, dimensions or drawings of this compressor? The Chicago-Pneumatic Model 500 was reasonably common in the early 1940s and it was also purchased by the US Army. The Army issued three very detailed manuals for this compressor, covering spare parts, maintenance and transportation respectively. I have been able to acquire a copy of the Army Manual covering spare parts (TM 5-5042), but this Manual does only list and describe the minor spare parts, all major parts are simply listed with their parts number. My search for the other two Manuals (5-5042-1 "Preparation for export" and 5-5042-1 "Preventive maintenance services") so far has not been successful.

Any support is highly appreciated!

Andreas Kuehnpast

deemery

You might try searching US Air Force and US Navy websites.  I bet all of the Services had these, for construction and other uses.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Vietnam Seabee

Andreas..the attached photo is of the rock quarry at Phu Loc (Vietnam) during 1968ish. Too far away to be sure but tere appears to be a similar compressor shown which would have been operating the rock drills used by the U.S. Navy Seabees at Pho Lock. We (Seabees) operated several rock quarries during the 10 years we were in Vietnam. I have written a series of books about the Seabees in Vietnam and will look through my research files for a quarry photos which might show the compressor you're looking for in better detail. Very probably Seabees used your compesssor during WWII as well, however, I have few photos from that Era...will keep you posted if I find anything

GPdemayo

Sorry I can't help with any compressor information.....but welcome to the forum.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

bparrish

Andreas.....

Welcome aboard.

Sorry. I am no help either.

Tschuss
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

AndreasK

Dave... Thanks for mentioning these websites. I have done various searches on Google, but these did not turn up additional information. So searching on US Army websites might indeed be promising. Can you give me one or two links to websites that would be worth seraching? Thanks in advance.

Vietnam Seabee... The US Army acquired CP Model 500 compressors in 1941 and/or 1942, so they sure were used by the Army during WW2. I will see if my search on US Army websites turns up any good photos. Thanks for posting the quarry photo! Quarries very likely used the large Model 500 compressors. Thanks for your kind offer to look through your files for me.  ;D

GPdemayo... Thanks for your welcome.  :D

Bob... Thanks for your welcome.  :D

Andreas Kuehnpast

Vietnam Seabee

Andreas...There is a photo website of Seabee photos at www.seabee-rvn.com which is primarily Vietnam Era Seabee photos, however, one of the galleries within the photo site is named "They Served Before Us-WWII" which is a collection of WWII Seabee photos....perhaps check that out on the slim chance there would be a photo of your compreesor

jerryrbeach

Andreas,

There is currently a listing on ebay for a Maintenance Instructions & Parts List manual for a Chicago Pneumatic Model 500.  Attached is a link to the listing, as well as a couple photos I pulled from the listing. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicago-Pneumatic-500-Air-Compressor-Parts-Catalog-Operator-Maintenance-Manual-/371926792841
Jerry

bparrish

Andreas..

I went and got a close up of that photo that Jerry put up to you.  It is an edition marked as "third" and dated as 9-53  as in September of 1953.

I am pretty sure they didn't change it much so it is probably pretty reliable.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

gleiphart

Wow, nice work guys. Its great seeing the team come together. I feel comfortable that when I need some information, its not far away!!!

AndreasK

Jerry... Wow, what a great find! Now I have a backside view and some better details of the compressor part of CP Model 500. Thanks a lot!  :) I have contacted the seller to see whether the manual has additional photos and maybe even some drawings...

This 1953 manual covers a more modern version that e.g. had rubber-tired wheels and not the steel wheels of the c. 1943 Model 500. I will stick to the 1943 model though as the steel wheels look really cool and etched nickel-silver spoke inserts for them have already been designed and hopefully will arrive in a few weeks. My friend Christian also has an appropriate brass tube that he will cut some slices off on his lathe to complete the wheels...

As you can see, not only researching this compressor is a team effort, but also building it.  :D

Vietnam Seabee... Thanks a lot for sending the Seabee link. I will see if the WW2 photos on that site show a CP Model 500.

Andreas Kuehnpast