The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I turned my attention next to the bridge construction.

I cut a section of polystyrene the width of the road and wide enough this time to allow for the pillars.

It will fit on the inside edges of the bridge as shown below. The base of the pillars, when installed, will fit onto the white polystyrene strips I glued to the inside of the bridge sides.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then measured carefully or carefully measured, maybe both, the width I needed the bridge to be. I did this several times and constantly checked to make sure I got it right.

When satisfied, I then cut some scale 12 X 12s for the bridge frame base. I started in the middle and then each end. Although I made sure the bridge was square, I found as the glue dried, the bridge became unsquare by 1/32".

I found this out when I test fit the roadway base on the inside of the bridge.

I fixed this by clamping a metal square to the bridge and gluing in a 12 X 12 on each end.

Fast forward saving you from looking at 20 more pictures of each gusset plate cut and glued in place.

I didn't care what the gussets looked like as they won't be seen. I just wanted to get them in place to ensure a strong bridge roadway base.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then glued the pillars to each side. I made sure they were up against the styrene sheet as I glued the in place. As this section is going on the bridge base, I didn't need to glue the wedges to the side and under each large pillar.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The roadway now slides or just drops onto the bridge as shown.

I designed it this way for painting purposes. The bridge will be painted silver and the roadway section concrete. A bit to difficult to paint the two with them glued together.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how the first two sections of the bridge looks in place. They are just sitting on what I could find to hold them up.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I still need to finish the top of the steel bridge. That will come later next week.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! What Beautiful and quick job......Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Tom.

Enjoying your skills - as always. 

I do have to admit - I am partial to one lane road bridges, even more so to shared rail and road bridges.

Looking forward to you continued progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Bruce Oberleitner

Awesome work as usual Tom.  The bridge looks fantastic.

;D ;D ;D

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.