CCK's Thames St Shops

Started by JimF, July 09, 2019, 01:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimF

Another kit I started, and put up, a few years ago.

I'm not sure this one is going into my street scene diorama, but I'll start back in on it, and see where I get to. It will get done, just may get put on hold for a kit or 2 that I do know will be in the scene.

Yes, the wall color is basically the same as the Pressman structure, but not by intent :)

Jim

Opa George

Jim, I'm eagerly watching. I hear very good things about this company's kits.
--George

Dennis Bourey

Jim, I'm watching as well....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

JimF

Further progress, finally. Wandered off to plastic 'modelingville' for a bit.

Store fronts are basically done, with signs, shades, etc. Rear/side wall section glued down to base, which has it's starting coat of paint. Shop front glued down next, then the brick section at the left end.

We have a restaurant on the right, 2 doorways and 3 window section, then a palm reader, next a small variety store and finally a small mission house office.

Further appropriate signage will be added as needed after roof section is on.

May get a bit more done today.

Jim

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Looks like a very nice kit. I'll be following along.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Looks interesting. I'll be following.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

JimF

Hit a bit of a snag. I'm sure it's 'operator error'.

A few wall sections are not quite the correct size. The small 2nd floor front wood wall is a bit too short, it will need strip of filler under the roof.

The 1st floor brick end wall was aprox. 1/16" too long, I had to sand it shorter.

The 2nd floor brick end wall is the more serious (relatively speaking), as it is about 1/4" too short. I'll have to give this gap some thought. One idea might be a chimney to fill it.

More soon.

Jim

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

Looks great so far.

Karl

JimF

Guys, I'm putting this kit up, for now.

Too many problems, most small, a couple a bit bigger, that I want to take time trying to work around, for now.

My Cameron St Apts. kit is in transit, and I've dug out my Horwood Bros. kit, which I had started back before I took off into other interests.

Those 2 kits are definite planned for my diorama, the Thames kit is a maybe, so it's not a priority.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'll do a build threads of the 2 kits.

Jim F

Todd W.

Jim, I recently had built this Thames Street Shop for our HO Scale Customs Facebook page and posted the pics as I went....I also ran into the issue with the shorter 2nd story brick end wall.  Same size gap of about a 1/4 inch.  I filled this with a wood panel and painted it the same tone as the rear clapboard wall and put a 1/16th inch corner trim piece on the corner to further minimize the fill gap piece and make it look a bit natural.  I also had a short wall on the lower rear brick wall where it meets the clapboard and I did the same sort of fill in.  I am trying to attach pics here to show my makeshift repair.
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

Todd W.

Jim, I have more photos of the build if you need reference.  I noticed there are not many photos online to compare with when I was building it and it would have been a big help.  The kit is awesome and I had a ton of fun building it.  The only issues were those you mentioned and a quick call to Jeff Grove who was as perplexed as I was, we figured it out.  Don't get discouraged because your build right now is fantastic!  Keep on modeling!
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

JimF

Thanks, Dennis and Todd.

Todd, excellent build. I did find your Youtube video, the other day, haven't watched it all, yet.

As of the moment, I'm planning to put a framed billboard-like sign up at where the gap is, to cover it and have it connect the walls, and tall enough the gap won't show.

This kit is slated for a smaller, earlier period diorama. 1920's pre-depression era. Some of the store signage may get changed a bit. As such, it's back on the shelf, for now, as I want to concentrate on the larger, 50's diorama.

This time, it WILL get finished, however.

Jim

JimF

As I said yesterday, the 50's diorama is on the back burner, was spending too much time trying to decide the best way to base the Horwoods kit, and want to get back to building, for now.

The 2nd floor front wall is now glued in place, and the floor for the mansard roof is attached. Roofing is down on the flat roof on the right, and working on the roof over the brick extension on the left end.

Did remember to put a view block in, before I put that roof base on. :)

Think the kit has a few issues, such as the 2nd story brick end wall not being long enough, as Todd also found, and both 2nd story brick walls are not high enough to match height of the wood walls. Jeff does point this out, in the instructions, in one of the pics, showing where he used a thin wood strip to increase the height. Also, the piece for the flat roof over the brick 1st floor extension is too small (if I have the correct piece, but it's the only one that remotely looks like it is. So glued that on to top edges of wall, and using scrap siding pieces to build up to correct height.

Some of my issues could definitely be 'operator (me) error' LOL

Hope to get left flat roofing done, and make some progress with the main roof, today.

Jim

jerryrbeach

Jim,

I'm impressed, despite a few "fit" issues this is looking really good.  Nice to see you working on it again.
Jerry

JimF

Mansard roof taking shape, got the sides shingled and dormers built and installed. No roof weathering done yet, waiting till I get final roof section built, installed and covered.

Hopefully today.

Pics also give me a bit of how the street scene will look like. The 'variety' sign may have to go, for something a bit more 20's -ish.

Jim