Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi Tom,
I wish real bridge building was that easy.  Maybe we could get some bridges fixed around town.

Looks good.  Have another Diet Pepsi on me.

;D ;D 8)

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks great so far. I'm following along and can't wait to see the finished product.

Karl

Rail and Tie

Watching in Awe!  Love the look of the two styles coming together.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 09, 2019, 06:17:50 PM
In my best Arte Johnson voice. "veddy interestink und clever too".

Jerry,

Thank you and in my best voice, "veddy much".  8) 8)

So far this has been a fun build and kit bash.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 09, 2019, 06:25:53 PM
Ingenious and great attention to detail Tom.

Curt,

Thank you my friend. It really is going to be an interesting section of roadway.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on October 09, 2019, 07:00:27 PM
Tom, That is a great idea!!!!!Dennis

Dennis,

Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to follow along.

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on October 09, 2019, 08:14:40 PM
Hi Tom,
I wish real bridge building was that easy.  Maybe we could get some bridges fixed around town.

Looks good.  Have another Diet Pepsi on me.

;D ;D 8)

Bruce,

Good to see you again. I work a little faster than the guvment (sp) workers and better as well.

I have a Diet Pepsi as I type this response.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on October 10, 2019, 07:46:16 AM
Hey Tom:

Looks great so far. I'm following along and can't wait to see the finished product.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks, I'm a bit anxious to see the finished bridge also.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Rail and Tie on October 10, 2019, 02:16:00 PM
Watching in Awe!  Love the look of the two styles coming together.

Darryl,

Appreciate you following along, much appreciated. I think the two styles will compliment each other.  I'm behind in my updates but you'll be able to see how it comes together very soon.

Your post reminds my I have a list of things I want/need to order from you. I'll try to get to the order in the next week or two. Lots going on these days.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Bridge work continues on the Atlantic & Southern RR.

The Rix bridge set comes with a deck that is also .40" thick. The reason I used the polystyrene sheet is that I needed a wider piece for the roadway. The Rix roadway piece is a scale 22' wide. I needed mine almost 3' wider.

I removed all the bridge pieces except for the two main sides. I filed cut the tabs off and filed the area smooth.

Not concerned about the flash as it will be covered.

To cover the sides and strengthen the bridge sides, I used scale 6X12's in the polystyrene.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The 6X12s were a perfect fit for gluing to the inside of the bridge.

I used Quick Grips to hold the 6X12s in place until the glue dried.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The bridge is now ready for the next rebuild.

But the first section of the roadway comes next.

The bridge pillars have small nubs on the bottom side. These need to be filed flat.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

If you don't file them flat, the photo below shows how they "don't fit" flush on the roadway deck.

I used a small jewelers file to remove the nubs.

I then glued the flat beams to the underside of the roadway and flush with the sides. I drew lines on the underside to guide me in gluing on the "I" beams.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also braced the underside of the roadway with two perpendicular pieces for extra stability of the road.

Now it's time to glue on the pillars. But wait, they don't fit properly either.

The photo below shows how they are supposed to fit.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com