The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on September 29, 2019, 09:50:43 AM
Looking good Tom.  A pothole being repaired would be a great scenic detail, however placing a vehicle over it is a pretty quick fix.  Where do you get those sheets of cardboard for the road?  I know you told me the time my son and I visited, but that information has fallen out of my head  :o   Also, was there a specific thickness you favor?  Thanks!

Mark,

Thank you kind sir. I get the cardboard sheets from Sam Flax Art Supply. There is a store just a few blocks down the road. It comes in 1 and 2 ply. I've been using the 1 ply for what you see now.

The main Tahope Highway leading out of Sandlando is 2 ply, twice the thickness of the one ply and much harder to cut.

Lots of changes just since your recent visit. Next summer will look like a different layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 29, 2019, 09:59:27 AM
Tom

Great looking road. One pothole in a stretch of road like that may be prototypical for Florida, but not in Michigan. I really enjoy watching the scene come to together.  Laying things out is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me. Keep up the good work my friend.

John,

Thank you as well. We do have lots of potholes here even without all the snow. Planning these areas has been a lot of fun for sure.

Appreciate you checking in.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I added the second and final coat of Guilford Gray to the main road. I'll let the paint cure for at least a week.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used a metal ruler and scribe to scribe the expansion joints in the concrete areas. Once the concrete color is painted on, I won't be able to see the joints so now is the time to "draw the line"! :D :D

Here is a bird's eye view of the roads just north of the river area. You can see how they all tie in together.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the concrete areas were painted with full strength Floquil Aged Concrete.

Once the paint is cured, I'll lightly scribe the joints and then add weathering.

In the next photo, you can see the poultry structure has an aged concrete sidewalk. I weathered it using Light Gray A&I. I'll do the same to the road when cured.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

I so much love how that road comes out of the backdrop, excellent work Tom.
I love photo's, don't we all.

jimmillho

Are you sue you were not a Road Builder in another Life. ??Jim

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

BandOGuy

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 30, 2019, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 29, 2019, 07:06:47 AM
Tom,

If it matters (and we both know you already have a plan) I vote pothole, though not necessarily under repair.  Coming along nicely as usual.

Jerry,

I'm going to make it a pothole but would like to have some workers on it as well. Problem is I haven't been able to find any road workers and a pavement roller machine. I do have the SS Ltd. roller but it is too old period wise.

Tom  ;D

From observation in New England, you could just have 8 or 10 guys standing around with coffee and cell phones just looking at the hole in the pavement.
Fixing it? Thought this is the A&S, not fantasy land. (No offense, Raymo).
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on September 30, 2019, 05:21:14 PM
I so much love how that road comes out of the backdrop, excellent work Tom.

Jan,

Thank you very much. The road out of the backdrop works very well when viewed from track level.

I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on September 30, 2019, 06:31:39 PM
Are you sue you were not a Road Builder in another Life. ??Jim

Jim,

Well, maybe so but I did stay at the Holiday Inn a few times. ;D ;D ;D

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on September 30, 2019, 07:16:00 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on September 30, 2019, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 29, 2019, 07:06:47 AM
Tom,

If it matters (and we both know you already have a plan) I vote pothole, though not necessarily under repair.  Coming along nicely as usual.

Jerry,

I'm going to make it a pothole but would like to have some workers on it as well. Problem is I haven't been able to find any road workers and a pavement roller machine. I do have the SS Ltd. roller but it is too old period wise.

Tom  ;D

From observation in New England, you could just have 8 or 10 guys standing around with coffee and cell phones just looking at the hole in the pavement.
Fixing it? Thought this is the A&S, not fantasy land. (No offense, Raymo).

Chip,

We have the same problem here in Central Florida. Just the other day I saw six men watching one guy in the hole. And, he was just looking down as well and not doing nuttin!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Sorry for the slow updates on the layout. I've been busy with 1:1 stuff and the layout work. I'm back to being 50 photos behind already but after this post I'll start cropping the photos and get back to posting to this thread,  in an hour or so.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)