FSM Fox Run Milling - scratch/kit bash

Started by ACL1504, September 02, 2019, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

This is the last structure for the area just south of the Big Tahope River.

My plan is to scratch build Fox Run with a kit bash twist. I'm not using any of the FSM casting but rather the ones I find in my Misc. parts box.

Reading Bob built a beautiful model of this in June 2014 for Robert Seckler.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=481.0

I'm using two of Bob's photos to show what my plans are for the structure.

I'm only going to build the main building and not the extended portion or coal dock.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

EricQuebec was looking for an unbuilt FSM Fox Run Milling. I had one and he wanted to buy it. Fair enough.

However, I got to thinking I would love to have one or two of Eric's models on the A & S RR. If I could pull this off, I would have another Master Modeler's build and fantastic modeling skills on display on the A&S RR.

I agreed to send the FSM kit to Eric in exchange for him building two small Bar Mills kits. He agreed and I sent all three kits to Eric.

He is building the BM flop house and Honest Joe's pawn.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

I hope you don't mind if I look over your shoulder on this one. 
Jerry

Bruce Oberleitner

I can't wait to see what you come up with Tom.  I'm betting it will be outstanding!

;D ;D ;D

EricQuebec

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 02, 2019, 06:00:11 PM
EricQuebec was looking for an unbuilt FSM Fox Run Milling. I had one and he wanted to buy it. Fair enough.

However, I got to thinking I would love to have one or two of Eric's models on the A & S RR. If I could pull this off, I would have another Master Modeler's build and fantastic modeling skills on display on the A&S RR.

I agreed to send the FSM kit to Eric in exchange for him building two small Bar Mills kits. He agreed and I sent all three kits to Eric.

He is building the BM flop house and Honest Joe's pawn.
At thsi time, Honest joe kit is finished, I will post - with your permission -  some pictures soon, and naturally I will follow your effort on this project.
Eric

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 02, 2019, 07:01:27 PM
Tom,

I hope you don't mind if I look over your shoulder on this one.

Jerry,

I don't mind at all, happy to have you follow along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on September 02, 2019, 11:04:39 PM
I can't wait to see what you come up with Tom.  I'm betting it will be outstanding!

;D ;D ;D

Bruce,

Oh no, the pressure is on now.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: EricQuebec on September 03, 2019, 07:36:30 AM

At thsi time, Honest joe kit is finished, I will post - with your permission -  some pictures soon, and naturally I will follow your effort on this project.
Eric

Eric,

Happy to have you along. And, yes, you may post here anything you have or want to share.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

I can't wait to see what you come up with on this one Tom.  That was a fun one to build (haven't found an FSM kit that wasn't).  I also can't wait to see what Eric does with you're two Bar Mills kits.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on September 03, 2019, 09:16:06 AM
I can't wait to see what you come up with on this one Tom.  That was a fun one to build (haven't found an FSM kit that wasn't).  I also can't wait to see what Eric does with you're two Bar Mills kits.   :D

Bob,

This will be a fun build and I've already changed my mind on a couple of walls. More on that later. Whatever Eric does will be fine by me.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Dang, there seems to be a lot of planning necessary to scratch build a structure. I feel like I've been on this kit for two weeks already.

Prior to sending Eric Fox Run, I copied the walls in word on a 1:1 copy. I then printed the pages and cut out the walls. I marked the walls on the rear of Northeastern Lumber siding. I marked where George had his windows and doors.

As mentioned earlier, I have no FSM door or window casting. I'll use what plastic windows and doors I have on hand. I'll place them close to where they are on the FSM kit.

I neglected to take photos of any of the above mentioned steps but I do have some still marked on the back of the lumber. More on this later.

I started with this -

And ended up with this, the main walls of the build.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I marked and then cut out a portion of the upper most window on the main wall.

I rounded the top for a proper fit.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This is Tichy window #8047.

I then began to cut out other window and doors. In the next photo you can see where the original openings are located, marked in red.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com