Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on August 02, 2019, 09:12:14 AM
Looks great, John.  How are you going to attach it so it can be removable in case of repair?

Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for the kind words.  The foam boards are held in the control panel with moldings which are attached with screws. The wiring is all accessible from the back of the panel.  I could actually replace most of the touch control switches from the back.  Some of them are behind bracing which would require removal of the panel from the front. See picture below.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Tonight, we have power to the second of four control panels for the Superior Yard. Tomorrow, I will trim this control panel out and start on number three.

John Siekirk

Dave K.

postalkarl

S&S RR

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Really nice job John.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 03, 2019, 09:47:15 AM
Hey John:

Great looking control panels.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - I'm excited to run some trains and use them. I have a lot of wires to connect to make that happen.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 03, 2019, 01:11:02 PM
Really nice job John.

Curt

Thank you for following along, and the kind words. I'm making a little progress every day.
John Siekirk

MAP

Been following along.  Beautiful work on the control panels!
Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on August 03, 2019, 06:59:38 PM
Been following along.  Beautiful work on the control panels!

Mark

Thank you for following along and the kind words. Wiring is not a fast process, at least not for me. I have a ways to go yet on this but I'm happy with the results so far.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: It looks like I'm going to add a fifth control panel to the Superior Yard.  I original was going to have the controls for the reversing loop, the helix and the roundhouse mounted right on the wall next to the roundhouse. After thinking about operations it would be nice to be able to control these turnouts from three locations: the main control panel at the Eagles Nest Yard, the control panel for the Superior Yard, and right near the roundhouse.  So I'm going to try a Barrett Hill device that allows three different touch switches to control a single turnout.  If you throw the turnout with any one of the three touch switches the lights sync to indicate the direction that the turnout is thrown.  Stay tuned I will let you know how it works.

John Siekirk

Jerry

John I would have been lost on the second wire.  Your work is so neat and clean amazing job.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on August 04, 2019, 08:49:05 AM
John I would have been lost on the second wire.  Your work is so neat and clean amazing job.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words. The CEO keeps asking when I'm going to be ready to clean the basement and get rid of all the saw dust. ;) 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Today, I spent the day installing tortoise machines and wiring them to the control panel.  Not a lot to take pictures of, but one of those jobs that has to be done to get the railroad working.  I think installing tortoise machines and drop wires for the track power is going to consume most of my train time this week.  I'm at the point with this new expansion that I want to push to get everything running.  Stay tuned.
John Siekirk