The Franklin & South Manchester Traveling Hopper Car

Started by S&S RR, May 24, 2016, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

John...

Also ............ if you would add the road name....... Boise Nampa & Owyhee for the road name associated with me.

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

deemery

Quote from: bparrish on June 07, 2016, 03:24:54 AM
John...

Could you please reverse the order for Karl and I.  I am leaving for the PNR convention in Salmon Arm Canada and will return on the second of July.  My fear is that if the order is left as it is the car will sit in my mail box for some days.  The box is perfectly secure but.........
Bob
That'll be a great trip!  I've been to Salmon Arm (twice, in the '90s when we lived in BC) and it's a great place in beautiful surroundings.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

Dave.

Thanx for the encouragement.  Vivian and I are turning it into a larger loop trip to Banff and Victoria and then on to Portland Oregon to my daughter, son-in-law and grand kids.  Fun stuff.

It must be deemed criminal by some that after 40+ years in Idaho I've never made it to Canada.................  Well here we go ! ! !

I'll probably be asked to judge at the PNR convention as I did two years ago in Tacoma.  I really enjoy doing that with the new rubric that we are using........ thanx to Jack Hamilton ........... where the modeler may be present at the judging and field questions about what he attempted to do in the creation of the model.  It is a much more comfortable venue for the modeler and less of a 13th Century inquisition. 

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Bob & Karl message received I will switch the order on the list.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: S&S RR on June 06, 2016, 10:18:51 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on May 24, 2016, 08:17:08 PM
At the recent EXPO I had a discussion with George Sellios and Thom Driggers about the forum thread chronicling the travels of a AS car started by Tom Langford a few years back.  I enjoyed watching Tom's AS travel the world generating revenue for the AS. I asked George if he would be interested and doing the same type of thread for a piece of rolling stock from the Franklin & South Manchester. With Thom Driggers help and motivation George weathered the hopper car number 838075 to model the heavy use seen on the Franklin & South Manchester.  He then sent the car to the Superior & Seattle Railroad by way of interchange with Jimmy D's Pennsy and Dick Ellwell's Hoosac Valley (Thom will include pictures of these stops on this thread).

That brings us to the list:

1. George Sellios on the Franklin & South Manchester
2. Jimmy Deignan's Pennsy
3. Dick Elwell's Hoosac Valley
4. John Siekirk's Superior & Seattle
5. Tom Langford's Atlantic & Southern
6. Frank Baker's Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division
7. Karl Scholz
8. Bob Parish - Boise Nampa & Owyhee

I will keep up the list of stops for the F&SM Hopper Car on this thread.  If you would like to host the car on your layout - post your request on this thread and send me a PM Message with your mailing address.

Added Karl Scholz to the list.

If you would like to get on the list before the hopper makes a trip to the land down under let me know.  It will take a few weeks to make that trip.
John Siekirk

jrmueller

Could you add me to the list?  New Haven freestyle. Thanks Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

A package from Clarkston, MI. arrived yesterday morning. Normally it would be like Christmas getting a package like this. However, I was forced by scenery demands to wait until this morning to open the package.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

It was a wet rainy day on the Atlantic and Southern RR. It was so wet the yard looked like a plywood prairie. The Yard Foreman was walking the West Tahope Yard. Manchester Franklin was beside himself with what he saw. On the South inbound #2 track he noticed a lone F&SM hopper #838075 spotted.

"Those dang guys." he thought to himself, "They know that any inbound car is to be spotted on the #3 track."

He immediately radioed the tower to reroute the SAL Southbound freight due in 15 minutes. He then called for a yard switcher to move the hopper. He was then notified the Union was on strike due to the Diet Pepsi stock being below what the contract called for. Until the Diet Pepsi cooler was refilled, no work was to be done on the A&SRR.

It appears the cooler can't be filled until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

About that time, SAL GP9 #1911, came through the yard literally at yard speed. The engineer wanted to see what fancy car had his loco rerouted. When he saw the name on the car, he said to his brakeman, " OH, that car is from the world famous Franklin & South Manchester RR owned by Mr. George Sellios. He went on the say that Mr. Sellios lives in Peabody, MA.  and that he owes all his inspiration to the his Lord and some guy by the name of John Allen.

This photographer noticed the first car in the SAL freight was another world famous hopper from the Atlantic and Southern RR. For a ferroequinologist it can't get any better.

The F&SM hopper will remain on track #2 until the Diet Pepsi contract violation is corrected.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

Tom,
         Lol,  Oh that is a good ol' funny story for sure! Love the pics of both Famous hoppers...    Thanx Thom...

GPdemayo

Tom.....you should have let the StL&D superintendent know about the Diet Pepsi shortage.....we keep plenty on hand for emergencies and would have be happy to send a fast freight down to resupply the A&S.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on June 07, 2016, 05:15:27 PM
Tom,
         Lol,  Oh that is a good ol' funny story for sure! Love the pics of both Famous hoppers...    Thanx Thom...

Thom,

Thanks, much appreciated. We at the A&S RR are here to please. Provided of course it involves a Diet Pepsi.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 07, 2016, 05:45:02 PM
Tom.....you should have let the StL&D superintendent know about the Diet Pepsi shortage.....we keep plenty on hand for emergencies and would have be happy to send a fast freight down to resupply the A&S.  ;)

Butty Greg,

Very much appreciate the help. I'm sure the union members on the St. Louis & Denver Railroad have less stringent rules.

Go ahead and issue the orders for the fast freight extra with a load of Diet Pepsi blister packs of 8 - 12 oz. bottles.

I'll teletype the A&S RR superintendent to watch for the load.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: S&S RR on June 07, 2016, 12:39:50 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on June 06, 2016, 10:18:51 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on May 24, 2016, 08:17:08 PM
At the recent EXPO I had a discussion with George Sellios and Thom Driggers about the forum thread chronicling the travels of a AS car started by Tom Langford a few years back.  I enjoyed watching Tom's AS travel the world generating revenue for the AS. I asked George if he would be interested and doing the same type of thread for a piece of rolling stock from the Franklin & South Manchester. With Thom Driggers help and motivation George weathered the hopper car number 838075 to model the heavy use seen on the Franklin & South Manchester.  He then sent the car to the Superior & Seattle Railroad by way of interchange with Jimmy D's Pennsy and Dick Ellwell's Hoosac Valley (Thom will include pictures of these stops on this thread).

That brings us to the list:

1. George Sellios on the Franklin & South Manchester
2. Jimmy Deignan's Pennsy
3. Dick Elwell's Hoosac Valley
4. John Siekirk's Superior & Seattle
5. Tom Langford's Atlantic & Southern
6. Frank Baker's Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division
7. Karl Scholz
8. Bob Parish - Boise Nampa & Owyhee
9. Jim Mueller - New Haven

I will keep up the list of stops for the F&SM Hopper Car on this thread.  If you would like to host the car on your layout - post your request on this thread and send me a PM Message with your mailing address.

Added Karl Scholz to the list.

Added Jim Mueller to the list

If you would like to get on the list before the hopper makes a trip to the land down under let me know.  It will take a few weeks to make that trip.
John Siekirk

jimmillho

I sure am happy that the Union Reps. of the Southern Division of the A&S RR got the Diet Pepsi Clause dropped and replaced with Iced Tea as the official Beverage, cause we never run short of that.

Jim 8) 8) 8) 8)

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on June 07, 2016, 07:58:37 PM
I sure am happy that the Union Reps. of the Southern Division of the A&S RR got the Diet Pepsi Clause dropped and replaced with Iced Tea as the official Beverage, cause we never run short of that.

Jim 8) 8) 8) 8)

Butty Jim,

While the hopper is in the Orlando area, we need to get in on your layout. I'll give you a call in the next few days. We need to get it off the #2 track first. The President of the ST. L&D RR is shipping a load of Diet Pepsi to the A&S RR to get things moving, er, the hopper moving.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com