Woodberry FCSME Module Construction Thread

Started by restocarp, January 10, 2018, 07:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Matt:

Looks like quite a job. I shall be following along.

Karl

NEMMRRC

Slow and steady wins in the end....

Very very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Jaime

sdrees

Hi Matt,

This is some project you started.  Some different and interesting modeling.  I will be checking in one in a while.
Steve Drees
SP RR

jerryrbeach

Matt,

I really like the cut-away structure and the interior view.  The whitewashed posts with the red really remind me of a period factory interior.
Jerry

restocarp

Quick update between Christmas responsibilities:

I built an office for the corner of the machine shop using stripwood and some tulle fabric.

I scratchbuilt a desk from cereal box cardstock for the interior of the office.

Other details, including castings from Rusty Rails have been making an appearance and more will follow.

Matt

Janbouli

What a great add to the structure Matt, the office looks great.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Wonderful detailing done in the office area Matt..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Matt,

I've been lurking and following along from the start. I love the small office area, fantastic job on it all by the way.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

restocarp

restocarp

Another quick update.

I have continued work on the Foundry building. I fabricated some skylights to add detail to the roof expanse and because they exist on the prototype. I borrowed Opa George's leaf detail. I used real leaves that were crushed between my fingers.

I also began construction of one of the additions that surround the foundry proper. This addition is influenced by the existing building but I used some Tichy window castings which are smaller than the real thing, so it looks rather different.

Here is the real building:

And my model:

I added the loading dock for interest:

The light fixtures are sequins and wire.
Here it is place in its approximate position:

And here are a couple of overall shots to remind everyone what the heck is going on. The addition building is not located in these shots but will be between the large foundry building and the tracks.

Ever forward,
Matt

restocarp

I realized that I had skipped some detail on the foundry build.

I moved to fabricating this structure even though the machine shop still has some work to do. I needed to step away from the machine shop due to some small details that were bogging me down.

I began the foundry with a foam core base. I used some of my original mock up, but modified it a bit. Remember that this building bridges the gap between the two modules and will have to be removable for transport. So it needs to be light weight. The entire top of the main foundry building is windows, so I started by building a whole row of them. I used a bunch of Tichy window castings and ganged them up between 1/8" square wood framing.

Those continued around to the front of the building. Additional castings from an old Walthers Enginehouse kit were used for the upper windows. The building has a unique vertical board siding that I wanted to copy. I used the Real Wood paper product that Loren used to make shingles in this thread: http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=2401.0

The siding was weathered with alcohol and ink and Bragdon powders.

The next step was to fabricate the foundry entry. For this I used some Minuteman brick sheet over cardstock.

I ended up reducing the depth of this section which, due to the angle against the backdrop, necessitated trimming the facade down. I then added a couple sections of the aforementioned Walthers Enginehouse kit adjacent to the entry.

The whole thing was then roofed, tarpaper on the flatish roof and shingles(individually cut paper) on the peaked entry.

The last step before my previous post was to build up the return flatish roof around the side of the building.

And that is where I was when I added the skylights and the brick addition mentioned yesterday.
Sorry for the out of sync posts, but you are now all caught up.
Matt

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

restocarp

Quick update:

After a bit of a false start I built a door for the foundry entrance that I am happy with.

I also added some more details including a smokestack and a dust collector.

Matt