Fine Scale Miniatures Jewel Series #10 Avram's Bakery for the S&S RR

Started by ReadingBob, January 04, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: Lynnb on July 18, 2019, 03:03:41 PM
Bob your build looks fantastic, I need to go back to the beginning from January and start over, I hate skimming and missing the great tips.

Thanks Lynn!  Much appreciated!   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: postalkarl on July 18, 2019, 04:13:48 PM
Hey Bob:

Looks like you are making good progress. Keep the photos coming.

Karl

Will do Karl!  Slow but steady.  Well steadyish maybe.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Small update.  I've been plugging away at this working on the platforms and porches for the main building.

I started by building the supports for the front platform (note - what George refers to as the front of the building I'd call the side of the building but whatever  :D ).  I cut the legs using my NWSL chopper so they'd all be the same length.  I glued the long, top piece to the template with a couple of tiny specs of Elmer's White Glue.

As I glued the legs on I used a weight to hold them down while the glue set.

The front support gets covered with horizontal planks.  I had to build two supports but only the front one gets the plank treatment.  After everything dried I slid a single edged razor blade under the assembly to separate it from the template.

Then I added some nail holes into the planking.

The rear support was glued to the front of the structure. 

Skipping ahead you can see the front and side platforms have been installed.  Took a little while to get this done but it was worth the effort. 

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

There are four small benches that need to be built over templates, board by board.  I painted the stripwood for this Olive Green (Floquil) and cut all the pieces to length using my NWSL chopper so they'd be a consistent length.

The benches are assembled over the templates but they don't have to be glued to the template.  I just held the tiny pieces in place as I glued them and held them until the glue set.

The leg assemblies were then glued on to the seat portion.

The shelter for the gas pump was next.  I cut one piece of the siding to length using the template as a guide.

I took the cut piece and used that to set the stop on the NWSL chopper.

Didn't even cut myself with the chopper this time.  I'm getting better at being careful with it.  ;)

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Like the platforms and front porch supports the gas shelter framework was built directly on the template.

Started working on the water tank.  The dowel included in the kit that will be the form for this was stained with A&I and then I painted the top with AK Interactive Slimy Dark Green.  I'll add water effects over top of this later on.  Here I'm drawing guidelines to be used to help keep the stripwood aligned properly when I glue it in place.

Here's one of the reasons for the sparse number of pictures as I built up the porch.  Now that the main structure has been glued to the base it takes over my workbench.  My little camera on the tripod would only be taking pictures of the back of the structure while I'm working on the front.   :o

That's all I have for now.  Thanks for following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ACL1504

Bob,

Wonderful build, thread and tutorial my friend. JS is really going to love this one on the S&D RR.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Bob, I like the technique of drawing guidelines on the dowel form for the water tank. Never thought of that, but from now on I'll use it. Thanks for that!
Looking very good on this build, by the way.
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

What a treat Bob , thanks as always for the clear pictures how you do things.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Jerry

Wonderful job Bob.  And thanks for the pictures on the how to.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Blazeman

Bob:  I don't know if there is a copyright thing involved with posting here, but if not, when you finish, you should use your photos and write a new narrative, then submit to Joe Fugate for M-R-H.  Your techniques illustrated and explained would apply to builders in all scales, and the photos are right on to mesh with the explanation.

I know I've bookmarked this thread as reference for techniques to use in building the wood structures in general. 

sdrees

Nice looking build Bob, and you have some good ideas on construction techniques that you have presented.  Thanks
Steve Drees
SP RR

deemery

I agree, Bob should take one of his builds, write it up, and make some money with it (to buy more yellow boxes, etc. :-) )

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jimmillho

I am sure that we could find a lot of volunteers to supply to the Kits for Bob to build.

Terrific Job on this build for John.

Jim