FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

I noted in another post that the new FOS kit, Rust Rock Falls, just arrived.  I plan to build and site that on a rocky outcrop next to the FOS kit Bandits Roost.  As Rust Rock Falls is a Christmas gift from my wife, it has gone into hiding until December 25. So lets begin with Bandit's Roost.

Bandit's Roost is a massive kit, released two years ago.  I missed the original release but was fortunate to find an unopened kit online for just about the original selling price. Below is the box and front label:

I unpacked it and laid out all of the box contents on my workbench for a quick inventory.  Had to back up a bit for a photo:

My start is somewhat less than glamorous.  The instructions start with Vallon Paint and the adjoining Burger Joint, two basic structures. As with my last FOS super kit, I took my time to locate (and label in pencil) the main walls for each building.  Vallon Paint was relatively easy--the walls are distinctive and easy to locate.  However it took me about 20 minutes to locate the walls for the burger joint. 

The instructions identified the foundation and the wall that adjoins the paint structure, but did not identify the other three walls.  Knowing that they will be covered in corrugated siding, I knew they would not be wood.  I finally located them as one continuous piece on the taskboard (cardboard) sheets.  Below are all of the main walls for the first two buildings ready to begin:

Sorry, that is as far as I got this evening.
--George

PRR Modeler

I'll definitely be following the build George.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dave K.

jerryrbeach

Jerry

Dennis Bourey

Same here George!!!!!..Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Bruce Oberleitner

Wow, That's going to be quite the structure build Opa George.  I can't wait to see what you can do with it.  Your last build "The Terminal" was pretty cool.

;D ;D :o

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

Curt, Dave, Jerry, Dennis, Bruce & Jan--very happy to have all of you along for the adventure. Please chime in with tips along the way. I haven't seen this particular kit covered in any detailed build threads yet, so I may need some guidance here or there.
Have a happy day!
--Opa George

rpdylan

this is so great that you are posting your build on this kit! I'm starting mine this winter to fit into one of my back corners of the layout. Any tips/ issues that you encounter and share with us will be greatly appreciated! Do you plan on following the prototype regarding the structure placement/ elevations? I will on mine as it looks like it will be complimentary to a back corner. 
Bob C.

ReadingBob

Got my popcorn in hand and I've been relegated to the second row to watch this one since the front row is already full.   ;)  :D

I  really like the look of this kit.  There's a lot of visual interest.  I can't wait to see what you do with it.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

madharry

I have this one to do sometime. So I am very interested how you will go on. Good modelling!
Mike

jimmillho

I am sitting back here in the second row with Bob.

Jim

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Opa George

Welcome Bob B., Mike and Jim!   Dennis--you are indeed ready to go.
Bob C, I do plan on building it very close to the pilot model plans. If anything, I may alter the elevations to increase or stretch them out a bit so that it sites better with Rust Rock Falls, which has more extreme elevation changes.  But other than that, because I like the narrow-crooked street layout so much, I intend to keep it a lot like Doug Foscale designed it.

Early on in the thread I will post some pics of my intended site on my layout.
--George

S&S RR

George

I will be following along - looks like I'm late to the party - balcony seating for me.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad