FSM Fox Run Milling - scratch/kit bash

Started by ACL1504, September 02, 2019, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 03, 2019, 05:16:31 PM
Tom

I will be following along.  Fox Run is the next build on my list "from the kit" - I will be getting started when I get back from the Narrow Gauge Convention.

John,

Thanks, I saw in person the one Reading Bob did for Seckler. Beautiful. But I don't have the space for that size and I can't remember ever seeing any coal docks in Central Florida. I never met an FSM kit I didn't like and through the years I grew out of the need to have them all, needed or not.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on September 03, 2019, 07:46:34 PM
Can't wait either...........Dennis

Dennis,

I'm with you, I can't wait to finish it and get it planted.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on September 04, 2019, 05:10:03 PM
Sitting here with the group watching this one go together.

Dan,

Thanks, I hope you found a good seat on the fence.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The end wall, the one facing the overhang on the full size kit, didn't have much detail. Since this wall will be seen, I added four windows.

To make sure I got them in the correct position (centered), I placed one window on the rear of the wall. I marked the location and then divided the wall into four windows. I marked the center of the wall in pencil and then marked the center line left and right of the center center line.

I then marked the window locations and drew horizontal lines above and below the window location.

When satisfied, I remeasured and marked in red the cut lines as shown in the photo below.

All door and window opening are now cut.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here are several views of where the building will be located. Some photos were taken with the LED overheads on and some weren't.

I wanted to see it both ways.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

dick green

Treat build tom. I'm already picking up some great tips I'll have to reread the one about the window placement, not sure I really get it yet but I'll read it again.

Dick
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

NKP768

ACL1504

Quote from: dick green on September 04, 2019, 11:58:02 PM
Treat build tom. I'm already picking up some great tips I'll have to reread the one about the window placement, not sure I really get it yet but I'll read it again.

Dick

Dick,

Thank you, appreciate you following along. I guess I blew through the narrative on cutting windows. I've done a little more work, with paper,  and I'll go over it in more detail in a later this morning.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on September 05, 2019, 08:37:30 AM
Looking good Tom -

Doug

Doug,

Thank you, much appreciate you following as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'll go into a little more detail on how I center and then cut in windows on a scratch build.

I'm using a piece of copy paper so I don't waste any wall material.

Here I've cut a piece of paper the same size as the wall section.

I place windows or doors on the wood to determine where I want them located. In this case I want four windows, two on the bottom and two on top. I also want them centered.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com