T. Schwarz 2019 Winter Build - FOS Scale Models Deckers Tar Soap

Started by Jim Donovan, January 06, 2019, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Thanks for following along Bob and George

I pour over your build threads to learn how to do this stuff. You both provide some of the easiest to read and most informative thread builds on the forum. I hope as I proceed you will be able to provide ideas on ways to improve what I am doing.

To prove I am good at stealing, I mean learning, here is a picture of the latest version of Bob's famous strip-wood soaker with me already using it the same way he showed on his challenge build thread.

I was in the process of making a PVC pipe version like Bob has when the Boss (wife) asked what I was doing. I explained and she said 'one minute'. She came back with the pictured ceramic container that fits the need perfectly. Turns out they are called cracker trays for holding (you guessed it) crackers and are used usually at parties. The pipe version I have up north does have a drain (with cork) but this one sure cleans up fast.

Thanks

Jim :)

Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

From one Jim to another, thanks for following along.

I do indeed intend to make changes. I thought originally to incorporate brick but after discussion with other members I think I will stay with wood. That said there are things I see I already want to change. The back wall is going to be broken up in some way. The factory will need a water tank given what it will be making. I really want to have tilted open windows. I am lighting my structures now and see lots in that area. I have been learning about Arduino's as time permits. Not sure I will be able to incorporate command control in this building but we will see. Lots of ideas. Time to get off my *** and get some progress made.

Thanks

Jim

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Hi Jim,
I built my version of Deckers long before I joined the forum but here are few pictures of the original . I did do a second scratch build for my friend Roger and as he needed it to fit a space I had to shorten it somewhat.............
Mike :) 

Jim Donovan

OK Let's get started. First up was cutting out the walls and roughing them up some. I use a brass brush as I like the effect it produces. Not too rough but makes the wood look a little weathered.

Jim Donovan

Bracing is next. The kit comes with a fair amount of 1/8 inch basswood along with good diagrams for placement. To make sure no warping occurs I added additional bracing, especially on the front and back sections.

I like to use a special bottle with a small diameter metal nozzle to apply the glue. The bottles are inexpensive, 24 cost less then $10.00 from Amazon delivered (with Prime Membership). That works out to about $.41 each. Further, my preferred glue for just about everything on a wood/ plastic kit is ZAP Formula 560 canopy glue. It is not as thick as glues like Elmers which helps keep the nozzle from clogging. However if it does and I can't clear it I simply change out the tip and keep going. With the squeeze bottle and small diameter tip I can really control the amount of glue applied without reverting to using a toothpick (most times, but I keep the toothpicks handy). Here is a link for the bottles:

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Applicator-Translucent-Additional-Quilling/dp/B07JJGQHVQ/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_12?crid=3R6J4FT5GEMUK&keywords=leobro+brodi+slime+storage+containers&qid=1547866081&sprefix=Leobro+b%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-12-fkmrnull

Jim Donovan

I made a change to the back wall. I cut the wall, removed a scale 10 inches and replaced it removed wall with a 10 inch 'beam'. The break lines up with the front so that it appears the building had an addition to it at some point. I will weather the smaller section so that it appears newer then the rest of wall.

Jim Donovan

I saw Dave K in his 2019 Tom Schwarz kit build had the idea of having the ponce wheel only make random impressions to simulate nail holes. I liked the idea as nail holes are more an artistic touch then what you would really see in HO scale on one of these models. I decided to take the idea one step further by using a tack to make random impressions along a tee ruler. The rule lines were every three scale feet but the impressions are random. It looked good when stained, harder to see when paint applied but we will see after it is weathered. So far I like it.

Jim Donovan

I posted a little out of sequence.

Prior to putting the nail impressions in place I painted the back of the walls black using Ceramcoat acrylic paint. However I use an airbrush instead of brushing. For some reason most treads on kit building use airbrushing, if at all, for just the plastic windows and doors, sometimes the metal casting. I find an airbrush great for putting a very controlled coating in place and really shine when putting the first coat of weathering on the building. Further, I use Creamcoat acrylic paint, a craft grade paint, thinned with window cleaner (I use a clear product much like windex). I make sure the mixture if anything is thinner then needed because it is going on braced wood which is forgiving and less is best. The most important step I have found with craft paint is make sure you filter the final solution to remove large particles that would clog the airbrush. Filters are also cheap, less than $.04 each. I simply make several passes putting a thin coat down per pass until it looks the way I want. As for it taking more time then painting, I am not sure, especially when covering lots parts at one time like I am with the walls. I decided to time myself. From the minute I went to get the stuff to airbrush to the minute I put the cleaned airbrush away (and painting mess was cleaned up) was 38 minutes. Of course for final painting, highlighting and such I use a paint brush or sponge.

Well I was able to get more done today but it is late so I will catch up in the morning.

Lynnb

Following along. I like the idea she came up with for the stripwood stainer ( cracker holder ) . I would never get away with having the stains near the sink  ;D
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

ACL1504

Jim,

Off to a good start. I like the random nail hole, er, nail head stains. Looking good.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dave K.

Your thread is going great...and the building is, too. Following...

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jim Donovan

Good morning. Have my cup of coffee in hand so let's see if I can get caught up to where I am with this project. Thanks for the comments guys.

Lynn you are right about the stain wood holder (cracker tray). The Boss was not happy it was used in the house. Nor having the airbrush booth in the office. Both are to go into the garage this week after I complete the re-modeling.  The garage will have slat board on all walls, all workbench cabinets are on rolling casters, butcher block work tops, upper cabinets over the rolling workbench cabinets. LED lighting under all upper cabinets . It is going to be cool.