Fine Scale Miniatures Jewel Series #10 Avram's Bakery for the S&S RR

Started by ReadingBob, January 04, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpdylan

great work Bob! Love the step by step photos.  Regarding the "finger method",,,, I have found that myself when rubbing pastels on the clapboard.... can get a nice color change and weathering effect
Bob C.

ReadingBob

Quote from: Janbouli on March 16, 2019, 05:03:02 PM
Thanks once again for outstanding photo's Bob . I might be able to give you a little tip , when I use the paint stirrer I enclose the paint jar in an empty toilet-paper roll , that way when I take the stirrer out I can leave it spinning much longer so it doesn't have a half bottle of paint still on it , most of the paint will spin off inside the jar if you pull it out slow , and the roll will keep the paint from splattering all over.

Thanks Jan!  I've been meaning to try that cardboard tube trick.  I just keep forgetting to put one on my workbench.  I appreciate you following along and adding tips like that one. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on March 16, 2019, 05:07:02 PM
Great progress Bob, and great modeling shirt.

Thanks Curt!  I can't wait until the day I can make those shirts by daily attire.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on March 16, 2019, 05:42:32 PM
Great progress Bob - it looks great!  I agree with bracing the walls first before any coloring begins.  I learned that one the hard way.

Thanks John!  It took a while to paint all the castings up front but now things should start to move along at a faster pace.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Steve25m on March 17, 2019, 07:22:12 AM
I built one some 3 years ago now , I will post some pictures if I figure out how to resize my photos that does not take a  near life time to do!
Please somebody change that about this site, pretty please!

Steve - I hope you can share some pictures of your build.  I know we'd all love to see them.  I had to find a new app to reduce the size of my photo's after a crash and reinstall of Windoze 10.  The one I used to use was part of Windows XP and lost in the reinstall.  The Photo Editor that comes with Windoze 10 doesn't support resizing photos.  MicroSoft's answer to that is to resize them using Paint.  One at a time.  The heck with that.  I want to be able to do a batch of photo's (like pretty much every other user does).  I found and app called Photo Reducer (Version 4.9) that works okay for reducing batches of photo's.  Good luck and thanks for posting!   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: vinceg on March 17, 2019, 08:01:08 AM
Another crazy good step-by-step, Bob. Thanks.

Thanks Vince!  Glad to have you along for the ride!  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on March 17, 2019, 08:31:13 AM
Great step-by-step, Bob. I can attribute much of the improvement in my own modeling efforts to a regular following of your very instructive build threads. You also mentioned the welder's brush in a previous post. I went to Home Depot last month and found one, and it is indeed a very useful tool.
Did I mention this is looking very good, by the way?
--George

Thanks George!  I've been really enjoying your build thread of the FOS Terminal and I've picked up a few idea along the way myself.  That's what makes this place great.  Sharing ideas and techniques.   ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: rpdylan on March 17, 2019, 08:35:51 AM
great work Bob! Love the step by step photos.  Regarding the "finger method",,,, I have found that myself when rubbing pastels on the clapboard.... can get a nice color change and weathering effect

Thanks Bob!  I need to try working more with pastels and pan pastels.  Glad to know that rubbing them with a finger can change things up a bit.  Good tip!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Jerry

Nice work Bob.

What size brush do you use on those castings?

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Bob

Is that a .5 mm end off from a mechanical pencil on the end of your glue bottle?  I bought some nice glue bottles but the plastic end tip is getting a hole that is way to big, because I keep having to cut the dried glue off.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on March 17, 2019, 12:42:24 PM
Quote from: rpdylan on March 17, 2019, 08:35:51 AM

Thanks Bob!  I need to try working more with pastels and pan pastels.  Glad to know that rubbing them with a finger can change things up a bit.  Good tip!   ;D

George's trick of using a Q-tip dipped in alcohol works great with pastels if you get them on too heavy.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on March 17, 2019, 02:35:21 PM
Nice work Bob.

What size brush do you use on those castings?

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  I have several different brushes on my workbench but for the finer stuff I use a 5/0 Spotter, a 2/0 Round and 20/0 Spotter (for the very fine stuff).  I've made it a habit to pick up one or two brushes whenever I accompany my wife to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's Fabric.  I check to see if they're on sale or use a coupon.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on March 17, 2019, 05:25:35 PM
Bob

Is that a .5 mm end off from a mechanical pencil on the end of your glue bottle?  I bought some nice glue bottles but the plastic end tip is getting a hole that is way to big, because I keep having to cut the dried glue off.

I believe it is John.  It came with the bottle.  They come in a four pack at JoAnn's and they have a stainless steel needle to use as a stopper.  The trick is, at least with the Pink Flamingo Glue I use, to put the stopper back in after each and every use or they'll clog up.  I still have to  clean them out periodically but it gives great control when applying the glue.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ACL1504

Bob,

Great job on the build and the step by step, wonderful.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Quote from: S&S RR on March 17, 2019, 05:25:35 PM
Bob

Do a search for metal applicator tips and one can these available.  One example - https://www.facepaint.com/products/amerikan-body-art-skweezie-bottle-metal-applicator-tips-2-pack
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond