SS LTD Roundhouse

Started by sdrees, June 23, 2019, 10:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

I started a new project which is the Scale Structures Roundhouse.  I have always liked this kit, since I could never get my hands on the South River brick or stone roundhouse nor afford it.  I was very fortunate to pick up this kit at the 2017 Narrow Gauge Convention in Denver.  This was an old kit that was sitting on somebody's shelf for many years and it had never been opened.  The price was right and I couldn't resist. 

Steve Drees
SP RR

Dennis Bourey

Steve, It look's like a great build. I'm in the 2nd roll watching..

Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Looks like a great kit.  I'll be watching.

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Balcony seats , want to have a good overall view.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

Here watching, too, Steve.
--George

GPdemayo

I always liked the look of the kit also.....looking forward to see you build it.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Steve

I will be following along. It looks like a very nice kit. I like being able to see inside. Great opportunity for some inside lighting.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

This will be a fun build to watch.  One thing to consider, though, is updating the materials.  As I recall, a lot of those kits had cardboard walls, you might want to substitute styrene.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Oldguy

Ooooh, yes.  And yes Dave, the block pattern was on cardboard sheets.  My kit weighed close to 8 or so pounds with all the metal castings.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

Quote from: Oldguy on June 24, 2019, 10:38:35 AM
Ooooh, yes.  And yes Dave, the block pattern was on cardboard sheets.  My kit weighed close to 8 or so pounds with all the metal castings.

Those sheets are printed on one side?  Maybe laminate the cardboard to thin (.020) styrene (transfer tape) before you start cutting things out.  That would provide more strength and a bit of water resistance.  (I've seen problems with large cardboard buildings starting to warp due to the water-based products we use in scenery.  Also, it would be worth sealing the cardboard after you cut it out with Dullcote or a similar matte sealer.  (I've had good luck with the products from craft stores sold for sealing ceramics.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

sdrees

I did n't have time last night to post these pictures so here we go.

The kit comes with a ton of castings and I spent 2 day just cleaning the castings.

The walls are die cut cardboard like Dave says

The stone and brick walls are an embossed material which are to overlay the die cut cardboard walls.  Before Monster Works went out of business, I purchased his laser stone walls and brick walls materials to use instead.  I also purchased his laserboard material for concrete formwork and floors.

Drawings of front, rear and sides.

I started construction on the floor which is made from .10 thick cardboard and I mounted the pieces to a piece of 1/2" Gatorboard with 3M spray.

Steve Drees
SP RR

sdrees

And thanks everyone for following along
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Steve,

This is going to be fun. I'm very much looking forward to this build. I've seen it built many moons ago. I'm sure yours will be much better.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

This is going to fun to watch.  My embossed stone cards were rather flat.  Perhaps being stored for two years in an area that had 100% humidity and they swelled. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

This will be a great build.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision