Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Pictures come across very well.  A lot bigger than mine.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Jerry

Outstanding John.  Really did make the stone work pop!!!

What color chalks/pigments are you using to do the coatings over the stone & rock work??

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on June 10, 2019, 06:33:48 AM
You're really moving along John.  Great progress!  The pics look good to me, however I don't really blow them up so can't comment on the quality or graininess of them when enlarged.

Mark

Thank you for your comments - I tend to zoom in on the details in pictures and that's where I notice the difference.  The expansion is coming along about 1/3 of the track is down.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 10, 2019, 09:11:06 AM
John, Everything on this end look's great!!!! Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for your comments. I went back and looked at some of the F&SM pictures I posted a few years back and realized that I'm usually looking at the pictures in High Definition on my Apple so it does make a big difference. 
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, I'm sure lots of the guys here are behind me when WE say your doing a top notch job on the Superior & Seattle Railroad. Your picture's are always great to view and perfect references.
Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jimmillho

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 10, 2019, 07:27:05 PM
John, I'm sure lots of the guys here are behind me when WE say your doing a top notch job on the Superior & Seattle Railroad. Your picture's are always great to view and perfect references.
Dennis

Amen to that. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: Oldguy on June 10, 2019, 10:42:43 AM
Pictures come across very well.  A lot bigger than mine.

Thank you for your comments.  I like the details so I want to make sure they look good on all monitors and computers.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on June 10, 2019, 12:15:52 PM
Outstanding John.  Really did make the stone work pop!!!

What color chalks/pigments are you using to do the coatings over the stone & rock work??

Jerry

Jerry

I have a couple dozen colors of pigments/chalks that we are using.  I will take a picture of palette next time we work on this project.  The rule I use is to have at least three shades of a color.  Like three shades of brown and they shades of grey.  We are also using three shades of green for the moss on the rocks. I will post more on this process as we get it perfected.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on June 10, 2019, 07:27:05 PM
Dennis

Dennis and Jim

Thank you for your kind words - I'm having fun creating my little world - I really enjoy this hobby.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  Continued progress with the expansion, it has now swallowed up 5 cases of cork roadbed 50 sections of flex track, and 30 turnouts. I purchased 7 cases of cork roadbed and 175 section of track for the project with the original design, so we will see how much I use with new and improved design.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Rock and mountains are fantastic looking. Like you, I try to purchase in bulk. As Howard Zane said, "Get all you need prior to the project. If you have to stop in the middle for supplies, you don't go back to it right away or even a few days."

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 13, 2019, 03:59:22 PM
John,

Rock and mountains are fantastic looking. Like you, I try to purchase in bulk. As Howard Zane said, "Get all you need prior to the project. If you have to stop in the middle for supplies, you don't go back to it right away or even a few days."

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for stopping by and the kind words.  I couldn't agree more about the supplies, I hate waiting for the UPS man in in the middle of the project.  The problems with supply in our hobby right now make this more important than ever.  I had some of the supplies for this expansion on backorder for more than 6 months.  I actually had to make some changes because I never received some of the turnouts that I had on order.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

It coming along very nicely. Thanks for the pics.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on June 14, 2019, 12:08:18 PM
Hey John:

It coming along very nicely. Thanks for the pics.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words and following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is another progress picture of the North End of the yard.  I burned through close to another case of cork road bed, today.  The track is in for this end of the reversing WYE along with the by-pass loop.  This is going to be a very busy portion of the layout.  Tomorrow, I will be completing the cork road bed for this area and putting down as much track as I can.  My plan is to complete the track before I go back in and install the rest of the tortoise machines. I will then start adding the drops and wiring everything to the main control panel. There will be a fourth control panel for the power to the tracks for Superior Yard and control of all of the turnouts for this area.

John Siekirk