Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hi Steve:

Very well done. Great scenery and structures.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone.

The sagging roof was another technique I learned from George.

Lynn if you live within driving distance to the F&SM it's definitely worth the trip to one of George's open houses.
Steve Custer

Lynnb

Wish I did Steve, I'm wayyyy up here in Ontario Canada, where the snow is slowly thinking of leaving. ;D
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

cuse

Steve,

This is one of my favorite threads. You're doing some great work!

John

tct855

I agree with John!  Fantastic.  Thanx Thom...

SteveCuster

Thanks guys. I'm glad you're following along.
Steve Custer

SteveCuster

I started to add a new bridge and get a feel for how the water will flow in the area in front of the casket company over the weekend.

The bridge is from Micro Engineering. The water will flow towards the front of the layout and under a few bridges finally ending up at FSM Cartwrights Machine Shop.

I'm going to need to add a building or two in the area right in front of the casket company. I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do there yet.

I'm working off no real plan for the layout. Just kind of working it out as I go.

The nice part about using foam for most of the layout is it's very easy to cut something out and replace it or change it.

Thanks for checking in.

-Steve
Steve Custer

Lynnb

I can see how some real rocks would look good in the river below the truss bridge. Have you any plans of adding some color for a backdrop?
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

SteveCuster

Hello everyone,

Its been a long while since I've updated this thread. Slow and steady with the layout progress but it is coming along.

Here's what I've done since the last update.

I installed new LED lights above this area recently. During the installation of the lights above the bridge I dropped one of the lights on the bridge and the stone structure and smashed it.
After I walked away from it for a few hours I managed to rebuild it. This is after the damage. The water developed some bubbles during curing that I'm not crazy about but it wont be noticeable when I surround the area with structures and scenery. I don't think you'll be able to see much of the water up close once I build the area up.

This shot is a little blurry but it shows the overall layout of the area. The Town Hall/Diner/Getz Gas will remain unsecured so I can pop it out to get to the back track area if I need to.

All of the background structures are in place. I still want to add some vehicles and people. Also some telephone poles and vegetation.

The last 2 shots also show Bar Mills Gritty McDuff that will fit in the next area forward. I'm still working on the kit but I had all the main structures done so I spent some time figuring out the placement. Also The Gravely Building is mocked in place. Of course the brick/cobblestone roads are not weathered at all..just primed.

Callahan Furniture is not permanently placed yet this is a Bar Mills Gibley Furniture kit. Fox Run Milling is glued and installed.

I plan to modify this area a bit. I think my SierraWest Scotia Supply will sit in front of the furniture co. You can see pictures of that build on my website www.scalemodelworkshop.com

This is the area I need to complete before I can move forward.

I install the road castings by basically scoring and hacking the foam away till it fits level. Then I glue them down with white glue. These are not weathered just primed. My current project is scratchbuilding a structure that will fit in the area behind the road next to the track.

Thanks for following along. I didn't realize it's been 2 years since I updated this thread. I documented most of the individual structure builds here and on my website.

Lynn, I don't place on adding anything to the backdrop just sky and clouds.

I should be finishing up Gritty McDuffs and the little structure in the last area soon.

We had another baby in August so it's been a little slow lately getting things done.

I worked out most of the challenging areas and I still have a whole shelf of dioramas and structures ready for install so I think progress should speed up a bit. The waterfall bridge area was a bit of a challenge to me and also making something I can remove to access the rear track. Now that both of those things are done it should be smooth sailing.

I'll try not to wait 2 years to update again.

Steve Custer

sdrees

The scenery is looking great and the structures fit in very well.  Nice job!
Steve Drees
SP RR

Jerry

Well that's one hell of an update.  Some mighty fine scenery and buildings!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on a treat, Steve!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Steve

You have been very busy.  The layout is really looking great. The elevation changes make every one of those beautiful structures stand out. The textures of the dirt you are using for the scenery are spot on. ;)  First class modeling.  I really appreciate you sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

The structures and scenery are awesome. 

Jeff