FSM Barnstead Lumber Build

Started by rpdylan, October 21, 2019, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Bob

This is a great kit and I'm following along on your build.  You are off to a great start.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PainTrain

Quote from: rpdylan on October 24, 2019, 06:09:13 AM
thanks guys, thanks George!
    I'm not sure what "Paintrain" means by the board on board.... the walls are clapboard but not laser cut, so the door and window openings need to be cleaned up. ... some Board on Board modeling comes later!

Doh.  Well the clapboard is looking pretty convincing then. hahaha.

Bruce Oberleitner

Bob,
I love the colors on your wall.  It's looking really, really good.  I hope you don't mind if I steal borrow that combination for an upcoming structure.

;D ;D ;D

rpdylan

Thanks Bruce, but the color combination is from George Sellios's instructions! He calls for Floquil Depot Buff and Floquil Olive. I had some Polly Scale Depot Buff and used Americana "Light Avocado"...
    The support structure goes together quickly as all the wood is pre-cut! The only thing that I did differently was to add some NBW detail.
    The bottom piece calls for being painted a concrete color. I like using the Liquitex Stucco for this: first I stipple the Liquitex on the wood. I don't put it on thick, just dab the stuff on. Let it dry, then I use the fine side of a cheap nail file/board to smooth it out. Then paint it with a concrete color... makes a nice finish for a concrete look.
Bob C.

rpdylan

the next step in the build is board on board construction of the large lumber shed. This structure is a little over 10 inches long and there is quite a bit of framing work involved. I have lots of different stains in my collection, for variety.  I'm going with this Micro-Mark stuff for this building.  I'll do some dry brushing on the wood with some white/off white paint,,,, very lightly, for highlights. the siding boards need some distressing and further weathering..... I'm thinking that this part of the build is going to be the most involved of the whole kit.
Bob C.

Jerry

Really liked the way you did the concrete.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

rpdylan

thanks Jerry.  With the Liquitex Stucco,  I find if I very, very lightly sand it, it makes a nice stucco look for HO scale (not too rough). If I sand the stuff smooth, I think it looks nice for concrete/cement.
     Got the walls together on the main building, started the framing/ board on board construction for the large lumber shed

Bob C.

ACL1504

Bob,

I'm very late to the party but alas, I'm here to follow and learn a few things. I sold many of my New England style kits but this is one I kept to build.

Great start here Bob.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

rpdylan

thanks for following along Tom, and everyone else,
   rainy day today so i got some bench time in,,,
board on board is a bit time consuming, almost done with the rear wall of the lumber shed, then need to build the front supports,,,,
   the way I do work like this is that I put wax paper over the plans,,,,,

Bob C.