Columbia Valley Models - Butler Bin

Started by Oldguy, December 13, 2019, 10:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

I got around adding the roof and giving it a coat of matte varnish.  It cut down the shine a bit.  At least it gave the metal some tooth to take a dusting of weathering powders.  It doesn't look all that bad from several feet away. 

As soon as my Goo comes in, I'll finished the other one.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Looks great already, looking forward to seeing the final weathered edition.
Jerry

Oldguy

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 19, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Bob,

Looks great already, looking forward to seeing the final weathered edition.
Thanks.  I can't wait to see the final weathered version too!  Just not all that sure on how to do it as yet.
The kits with the decals would be easier as one can give the siding a light spray of gray, then add the BUTLER.  With it being swcreen printed, it looks as though my options are limited.  It will be a while before I figure it out.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Based on my farm background and a little experience...

Start with a base coat of Dullcoat to give the structure some "tooth".  Then use a light gray chalk or weathering powder to give it that faded galvanized look.  The "Butler" name faded over time, so toning it down with some gray to fade it would be prototypical.  You can always rub the chalk or weathering powder off to make the name stand out.  I find a damp Q tip works well for this.  If you want to rust the roof to match one of the photos on George Dutka's blog I would do that with some light applications of acrylic rust colors before I started with the chalks.  Jason Jensen has a good video on rust techniques, though he goes a little heavy on the rust for my taste. 
Jerry

deemery

Decals go best over a gloss surface.  What I like to do is brush on a layer of "Future" floor finish, do the decals, and then seal everything with Dullcote or another matte varnish.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jbvb

I like the look of Scalecoat 'Graphite & Oil' for aged (but not yet rusty) galvanized steel.  Once it's out in the weather, the shine disappears over the first 3-5 years.
James

postalkarl

Hey Bob D:

It's coming along very nicely. Keep up the good work and pictures.

Karl

Oldguy

I went to my Pan Pastels and added some iron oxide on the roof and some gray all over.  For now, this is finished.  I got my Goo today in the mail, so I'll do the other one and see if I can do better.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Looks very nice!  Looking forward to what you do with the next one and how they compliment each other.
Jerry

GPdemayo

Great job Bob.....looks just like the ones I saw in Missouri when I was a kid.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL