Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

I just want to nominate my very favorite ground cover materials...I always use 5 or more, generally starting with a base of Scenic Express soil, with some pinches of 3 Fall/winter colors of static grass, maybe tea leaves to give a little darker look and "suggest" leaves. In a lot of spots, I finish with static grass applied with the Scenic Express thingy and a lot of individually placed Silflor tufts-especially Buffalo Grass (which has a couple of colors within). Probably 3 or 4 more in the regular rotation BUT my very favorite are:

-Some fine gravel stuff that Russ from NE Brownstone threw in the box with my stone bridge order...awesome! I'm hooked, isn't that what crack dealers did-give a small freebie of an addictive product?
-Scenic Express Super Turf "Leaf Litter"
-Scenic Express/Martin Mellberg WB-SEAG Bushes, Type E High.

Ground cover is my favorite "difference-maker" and so much of my experience are happy accidents as opposed to tireless research- so I thought I'd share a few good ones.

John

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on November 04, 2019, 08:06:30 AM
I just want to nominate my very favorite ground cover materials...I always use 5 or more, generally starting with a base of Scenic Express soil, with some pinches of 3 Fall/winter colors of static grass, maybe tea leaves to give a little darker look and "suggest" leaves. In a lot of spots, I finish with static grass applied with the Scenic Express thingy and a lot of individually placed Silflor tufts-especially Buffalo Grass (which has a couple of colors within). Probably 3 or 4 more in the regular rotation BUT my very favorite are:

-Some fine gravel stuff that Russ from NE Brownstone threw in the box with my stone bridge order...awesome! I'm hooked, isn't that what crack dealers did-give a small freebie of an addictive product?
-Scenic Express Super Turf "Leaf Litter"
-Scenic Express/Martin Mellberg WB-SEAG Bushes, Type E High.

Ground cover is my favorite "difference-maker" and so much of my experience are happy accidents as opposed to tireless research- so I thought I'd share a few good ones.

John

All good choices my friend.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Nothing too dramatic, but I did do something significant on the layout over the weekend...I reworked the supporting benchwork, track and feeders to give me more opportunity for scenery outside the track. It was way too close to the edge in a couple of spots and it also compromised the NE Brownstone Stone Bridge (which I'll now be able to add an additional arch to). I also soldered and repaired a couple of bad rail joints around the layout so they won't haunt me forever...It was a good reminder of the importance of getting that stuff done well BEFORE scenery. Oh well, my elbows didn't smash anything but a few tree branches. All those threads of ACL Tom leveling and re-laying track...you'd think I'd have learned by now ::)

This end of the layout will have lots of rocks and vertical (including negative) scenery, so once I get my vision for it completed, I'll reevaluate the fascia profile and make any necessary changes. I'd really like to get the fascia patched and painted as I know that will immediately ratchet up the overall "finish" of the layout.

John

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

John,

I agree with Jim, looking good. I think the idea of rocks around the end will look fantastic.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey John:

looks just great. I agree with Tom on the rocks.

Karl

S&S RR

John

It looks great and I agree with the extension of the rocks down or (negative scenery) will really add to the overall look of the scene. At some point I would like to do the same thing in a couple areas of my layout. There is always another project.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Finally some progress to report...my stone bridge is in place. NE Brownstone supplied and Dave Emery did a detailed build of his somewhere on this forum. I colored mine with grey primer with a light spray of tan "camouflage" spray paint while still in pieces. I assembled it in sections at the workbench and used watercolor washes to get  some variation in the color. I really like the effect but, now that I have it in place under layout lighting, I see a few spots to touch up. I think I will install some timber framing along the edges of the bridge to help contain ballast.

John

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Your bridge looks great!  I particularly like how you worked the abutments into the scenery.  I know I'll have to touch up mine, too, but that will wait until I get around to pouring 'water' into the stream. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

Beautiful.  That is really going to be a wonderful scene when finished.

Looking forward to progress.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Looking good, Billy Ray!   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

cuse

Thanks Guys. Feels good to be in motion again, if only for the moment. Took me a second to scan the depth of my brain for the 80's movie reference but I narrowed it down and was happy to confirm I still have some mental ability. ;D 

John

Jerry

John

Beautiful build on the bridge.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln