Justice City Layout Build

Started by JusticeCity, October 16, 2018, 12:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JusticeCity

Progress has been a bit slow because of the season, however I have managed to get the windows done.

Plastic windows painted dark green,

Then plugged into the window openings after a bit of fitting and dirty glass,

I need to build up the baseboard foam so the structure lays level. Not a big issue and there is time to do that later.

Have a happy New Year.

JusticeCity

I thought I was going to film the weathering of the walls in this building but I got lazy. Here is how it turned out.

It was weather a very traditional way with free flowing thought and adjustments. Here is what I remember what I did,

• Soaked in IPA
  • Used a dark grey chalk/IPA mix and slopped it everywhere there was Hydrocal. This makes the motor lines a dark grey and begins the process of toning the plaster.
  • Then I randomly coloured the blocks with various red, brown, sienna and rust chalk/IPS mix. Most of this will be hardly visible in the end.
  • Then slopped Ink/IPA solution everywhere. It flows into all the hidden spots and mixes the various chalks together to give a smooth tone.
  • The corner blocks were coloured with a very diluted mix of white hobby paint, IPA, brown, black and sienna chalk. This mix from the palette was painted on the corner blocks, sills and lintels.
  • Then a final slopping of Ink/IPA to help blend everything
  • This is the weird part - A very light dusting of varnish to fix the colours of the wall. The next stuff I do will then mix with the wet varnish to provide a durable finish.
  • When the varnish is still damp a dusting of white chalk is applied to lighten the wall colours and to provide various highlights. (This is very much a feel step.)
  • I use a coarsish brush and mix and blend the chalks to get something I like.
[size=78%]I was not really trying to match the main building as it would be really too much trouble since most of this [/size]building wall will be hidden by the woodworking buildings. The building is also very low down and close to the track and would be very messy.

Any questions or comments?

JusticeCity

I keep on tweaking until I like the look; I'm getting closer

ACL1504

Marty,

That little addition to the larger structure turned out very nice. Well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

JusticeCity

Tom thanks. There is still more work to be done in that area at some point in time.

I finally got to building a small wooden bridge to go from Gran Ma's property toward town. This will eventually go through a small orchard (maybe). The bridge is not wide enough for a car, but a golf cart or tractor could go over it. I decided to make a arched bridge to add some interest and allow for the span of 20' HO.

I used some matte card, scored the under side of it to look like planks of wood. I then worked it a pleasant arch and glued some 2x6 boards on it.

I trail fit it into place before adding more 2x6 planks. Strange as it seems the arch remained after the glue dried.

I glued a couple 3x12 board together and cut it to the curve and glued them to the edges of the arch. I then inset some 4x4 posts into that beam. The four end posts will be used to plant the bridge in the final location.

The hand rail (2x6) was epoxied to the top of the posts and held inlace until the epoxy cured dried.

It now looks like an arch wooden bridge.

I struggled on how to colour the bridge. It could be a worn grey colour (unlikely because the house is well taken care of) or it could be a white. Hmm, so I decided on the fresh cedar wood look. I might paint it later, but I want to see how the scenery will turn out.

Thats all for awhile as I escape this brutal cold weather.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

NKP768

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

JusticeCity

Thanks for the nice comments.

To-day I planted the bridge and did a few minor things to make the scene look better

This is how it looked stuck into the baseboard.

I added some rubble into the creek/river and a first pass of colour to kick-off some ideas. The bridge was given a wash of diluted white paint to soften the bright red wood and give it a weather look. The figure helps to give some scale to the bridge to provide it is the right size.

I also added the path on both sides of the bridge to begin to outline how the apple orchard will look like. If you notice in the background there is a weathered fence to provide some separation from the railway track. To the left of the bridge there will be small veg patch in the future.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

HeyMarty;

Great looking bridge. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

rpdylan

the whitewash definitely did the trick! I find that a whitewash, or dry brushing white improves just about everything on my models!
Bob C.

tooStupid

Wondering what I have been doing?

You will see soon as I collect myself and get back into the swing if things and add some posts.

Meanwhile I have been cleaning house and selling stuff.

Dennis Bourey

Marty, I love how the bridge turned out :)    Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

tooStupid

Here are a few pics of what I've done with Gran Ma's House, now known as Gran's B&B.