The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 22, 2019, 05:52:30 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on October 22, 2019, 05:04:52 PM
Hey Tom.....keep us posted on how the bridge holds up after the first guy on a bicycle goes over it.  ::)

I don't think it will be a problem as long as the rider can get his bicycle up to "Greg Speed"!

Jerry,

Yea, I want to see him get up to "Greg Speed" on the trike.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 22, 2019, 06:45:31 PM
Hey Tom.....keep us posted on how the bridge holds up after the first guy on a bicycle goes over it.  ::)

Greg,

No problem, come to think of it, you will be the first to know. The President and CEO of the A&S has decided to give you the honors of being the first vehicular traffic on the bridge. You can ride you tricycle up and down all you want.

Tom ;D

Sounds like a plan Tom.....anybody got one of those big wheels I could borrow.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see that bridge installed on The RR. It looks just great.

karl

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 23, 2019, 08:30:25 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on October 22, 2019, 06:45:31 PM

Greg,

No problem, come to think of it, you will be the first to know. The President and CEO of the A&S has decided to give you the honors of being the first vehicular traffic on the bridge. You can ride you tricycle up and down all you want.

Tom ;D

Sounds like a plan Tom.....anybody got one of those big wheels I could borrow.  ;D

Greg, 

I saw one at a yard sale last week but I didn't stop.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on October 23, 2019, 02:33:05 PM
Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see that bridge installed on The RR. It looks just great.

karl

Karl,

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Okay,

I got the bridge level using the two bridge supports.

This is where it got a little tricksie. I needed to make a new one at the height of the fill in shown below.

I also needed to make one for the steel roadway bridge. And, they needed to be side by side. If you refer to the above photo, you'll see the support doesn't cover the bottom of the roadway portion.

The steel bridge section is at a different height than the concrete portion.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The bridge supports need to be perpendicular to the flow of water. Here is how I solved the problem.

I made one support for the roadway section. As you can see in the next photo, the columns are to high when compared to the the support that fits against the south wall.

I measured how much needed to be cut off. I drew a pencil line at the mark and cut all the columns at the shorter height.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Unfortunately for this update I neglected to take photos of the new support. Again, I'm using the Rix Products for the supports.

Moving on, I built the second support that will support the steel bridge. You can see that to span the steel bridge, I needed to make a larger base. I used Evergreen styrene to make the box for the top support.

I couldn't get the the two supports aligned next to each other. They are at two different levels. I built a "blank" bottom support and glued it between the other two supports. This solved the problem.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see the "blank" support in the following photo. The three are now one support.

Here is how it looks with just the concrete roadway in place. It is also perpendicular to the river flow.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com