water mixable oil color

Started by Erieman, April 13, 2019, 01:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Good Morning All,

I thought i would switch gears temporarily and play with a new tank car. I don't remember how I got this car, but it is beautiful. It is a Tangent Scale models 8,000 gallon tank car with Warren markings. Beautiful car. So this car has been sitting on the layout for some time in its pristine, untouched look. You may remember that I tried using water mixable oil colors on a couple of bridges on my railroad - Morristown & Erie / Western Division. Getting a bit antsy, i decided to change my routine for a day or two and paint the tank car. There is nothing worse  that a clean , unweathered car on the layout. I have many and will ( over time) be changing that. I have been looking for a technique  that would allow me to "create" an interesting weathering solution to my cars. I have tried airbrushing, but find it somewhat limiting in visual detail. No offense, but using this pigment technique allows you the greatest freedom I have found. You are basically adding layers of pigment to lighten or darken the details on each car. Multiple colors add to the color execution. This is time consuming ,but the end result is the best technique I have found. A friend here in town introduced me to it about a year ago. Allan has done several cars, engines and vehicles using this technique and I really like what I see.

The only initial drawback is that the pigment is slow drying. This  is both good and bad. Bad because you must handle the model with car. Good because you can use, add and subtract pigment as you are painting. It works like oil color mixing, but you are using water, and very little of it. You can mix colors "on the fly" as you proceed. A bit of water and you can remove or blend. This is really simple to use and the end result is pretty damn good.

No more unweathered cars for me. It will take some time to weather the fleet of cars I have, but the end result is nice, very nice. The investment is small. The only  time consuming factor is TIME. This is a very slow process and you have to be patient. Otherwise, go but a rattle can!

Hope you enjoy the pics. I am not done with this car, but wanted to share the technique and initial results. I am also working on an Accurail outside braced box car. Nice results there also. Will post pics of that car soon.

Here is the tank car before and almost completed on one side.

Frank / Erieman

deemery

Frank. check out the MIG and AK-Interactive lines of (armor) modeler oil paints.  A web search should produce information, videos and hobby stores that sell this stuff.  MIG also sells a great line of how-to books for armor modelers that go into great detail on rust and grease (two things that characterize tanks in use :-) :-) )

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Erieman

Quote from: deemery on April 13, 2019, 04:24:54 PM
Frank. check out the MIG and AK-Interactive lines of (armor) modeler oil paints.  A web search should produce information, videos and hobby stores that sell this stuff.  MIG also sells a great line of how-to books for armor modelers that go into great detail on rust and grease (two things that characterize tanks in use :-) :-) )

dave

Dave,
Thanks for the heads up. Basically the product is the same and the results are the same. Just a different name. I can go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby,etc. to get them.

Frank / Erieman

bparrish

Frank....

Pretty cool stuff.

You have tank weathering figured out.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Erieman

Quote from: bparrish on April 15, 2019, 03:18:39 AM
Frank....

Pretty cool stuff.

You have tank weathering figured out.

Thanx
Bob

Good Morning Bob,

Thanks for the kind words. The only problem i now face is deciding how many of my tank cars i want to weather. Then there's box cars, reefers, etc. You know what I mean! It takes a couple of days to do each car. You have to let it dry a couple of days before you paint the other side. What have I got myself into?!

Frank / Erieman