Assembling Proto 2000 Series Car Kit - 4427 PS2-CD High-Side Covered Hopper

Started by ndwolf68, November 17, 2018, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I built one of their tank cars within the last year.  They are a vision/coordination test for sure.  Especially trying to glue a black grabiron into a black hole on a black car body.   :o

Jeff

S&S RR

Norm

I'm following along - I have a few of these in a box somewhere - on the build list. It's a long list. ::)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NKP768

Hi Norm- I've built a number of these with the Plano roof walk and I have have always had good results using the old stand by Walthers Goo, but I think any rubber contact type cement(Weld) would work. My layout is in an unheated shop so the temps vary from around -10 in the winter to 70 in the summer and I have not had any problems with these roof walks. I would suggest drilling your mounting holes slightly over sized so the roof walk does have some room to "grow".
Doug

Rail and Tie

Built one of these before. You are doing a great job!

All I can say is...

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

ndwolf68

Well, it took a bit (and many 'extra' eye bolts), but I think the brake line is installed and "good enough".  May put an eye bolt on the side of each of the coupler boxes.  We shall see.  Once painted in similar color to the car, it should be a nice, more durable detail, than the thin, cast plastic.

As always, comments are welcome.

R/,
Norm

jerryrbeach

Norm,

It is the addition of details like this that lift a freight car model above the ordinary.  I'm looking over your shoulder long distance.
Jerry

ndwolf68

Not rushing thru this, and unfortunately, (I still feel) I am making sloppy mistakes.  :P However, I think this is "good enough" as Mr. McClelland used to say. Weathering should cover up most, if not all, of my boo boos.  :o

Worked on the B end stuff today, between holiday visitors and dog walks.  Adding the Kadee brake wheel from the stock kit one, makes a big difference, IMO.

I think it'll do. Bending those fashtoonkina grabs was mind numbing and stroke causing. Lol!

Norm

ndwolf68

So, I'm getting to the end... Car is all but assembled. 

I spray painted the hatches Wal-mart flat white and the clamps and pins/latches Krylon Chrome (Short Cuts Metallic Paint).  I figured it'll all get coated with Dullcoat, and have the right look.

Just have to do the walkway, after filling in the holes - not quite sure how to do the ovals.  Using Plano's paper template and after taping in-place, I'll 'give it a go', hopefully after dinner.

R/,
Norm

jerryrbeach

Norm,

The easiest method I have found to plug the roof walk holes in a car body is to cut the pins from the old roof walk and use those as plugs.  Unfortunately, some manufacturers use round pins with oval holes.  In that case I use a slightly larger size of sprue or Evergreen rod to plug the holes for the roof walk pins. I sand it to shape by placing a piece of sandpaper on my work surface and using my fingers to move the rod back and forth lengthwise to flatten the sides into the oval shape.  Once I have it close I insert it into the hole, tapering the end slightly if needed to get it started into the hole.  I tack it in place with a little cement, then I cut the plug slightly above the hole with pliers, add cement and push on the plug with a screwdriver blade to get it to spread out and completely fill the hole.  After the cement dries, I use a #17 X Acto chisel blade to shave it flush with the carbody.   It is tedious, so if anyone has a better method I'd love to know (and I think Norm would, too).
Jerry