Assembling Proto 2000 Series Car Kit - 4427 PS2-CD High-Side Covered Hopper

Started by ndwolf68, November 17, 2018, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndwolf68

After finishing my Walthers Medusa Cement kit for future place-holding on my layout, I found an older P2K kit on the shelf, that I had for a few years that caught my eye.  It's a Covered Hopper lettered for the D&RGW (Bernie K said I should have a few more Western cars - well, he said I should switch to the UP, but that's for another thread).

I'll try to post my progress pixes.  These darned pieces parts are (seemingly) getting smaller to my eyes, so I'm going to go slow and using magnifiers.

R/,
Norm

ndwolf68

Step 1 is complete and now setting aside to dry.  Needed in Step 3.

Now, a question for folks that may have built one or several of these kits before... does Plano or someone else make a replacement for this walkway piece?

It's not bad, but I like the 'see through' metal ones.

R/,
Norm

ACL1504

Norm,

Nice looking covered hopper, I'm along for the ride. I built a few of the Tichy 10,000 gallon tankers. Talk about small parts. Or maybe my eyes are getting smaller so I see parts smaller. ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Jerry

ndwolf68

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 18, 2018, 07:00:20 AM

Norm,

Plano does in fact make a roof walk for this exact car.

Jerry, many thanks. I also see they make a drill template for it. Plano #10889. Gonna try and get them both!
R/,
Norm

NEMMRRC

These Proto 2000 kits are really nice. I'ver built one, a gondola, and it was loads of fun.

I like how you model with a reference photo in front of you, Norm. Maybe I should buy a computer for my modeling workbench  ;D   Ha ha ha, as if I need more computers ...

I'm looking forward to the end result.

Jaime

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ndwolf68

Thanks guys!  You're comments help greatly!  So, an update, but not a lot of progress, of late, with the craptastic Monday the wife & I had. Hope to do more over this long holiday weekend.  Maybe even get it done!  Doubtful, but gonna try!

I'm in Step 2, sub-step 3, with installing the thin styrene rods for brake levers, etc.  I've done one of these kits before and I usually wind up breaking the lines, even just getting them off the sprues, so I decided I'd dig into my stash (that's what it is there for, I guess) and decide on either DA brass wire or Tichy phosphor bronze wire to replace them.  Which do you guys like?  I hope to use the plastic brake lines as bending guides/templates.  Wish me luck!

R/,
Norm

ndwolf68

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 18, 2018, 07:00:20 AM

Norm,

Plano does in fact make a roof walk for this exact car.  Here's a link.

http://www.planomodelproducts.com/instr/088instructions.pdf

I ordered one & he already shipped it to me!  Hope to see it on Friday!
R/,
Norm

ndwolf68

Quote from: NEMMRRC on November 20, 2018, 05:11:01 PM
Try the brass wire.

Good luck.

Jaime
Jaime,
Thanks, mi Compadre!  However, the Brass wire is NOT the challenge... Stinking microscopic eye bolts from DA! *@$#_%_#@-+;!!!  :o

jerryrbeach

Norm,

Two things.  First.  Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive Optivisor type magnifier.  Magnification is very strong, I use it only for very fine detail work and I find it helpful for installing DA eye bolts.  Of course I usually manage to launch a couple (never to be seen again) if I don't get them gripped evenly in my tweezers.   

Second.  I have never attempted to fasten a Plano roof walk to a plastic car.  I have read that a glue with some flex to it works best, i.e. Canopy Glue.  Apparently the expansion coefficient of plastic and the etched Plano roof walk is different enough over time to break the bond if ACC is used. 
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Norm:

Haven't assemble a car kit in years. Looks like you are doing a fine job.

Karl

ndwolf68

Quote from: postalkarl on November 21, 2018, 08:34:12 AM
Hey Norm:

Haven't assemble a car kit in years. Looks like you are doing a fine job.

Karl

Karl,
Thanks!  Coming from you, high praise indeed!  I'm definitely not as quick and thorough as you, but if I do this slow and steady, I'll hopefully get a decent product to run revenue on my rails!  ;)

R/,
Norm

ndwolf68

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 20, 2018, 08:36:19 PM

Norm,

Two things.  First.  Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive Optivisor type magnifier.  Magnification is very strong, I use it only for very fine detail work and I find it helpful for installing DA eye bolts.  Of course I usually manage to launch a couple (never to be seen again) if I don't get them gripped evenly in my tweezers.   

Second.  I have never attempted to fasten a Plano roof walk to a plastic car.  I have read that a glue with some flex to it works best, i.e. Canopy Glue.  Apparently the expansion coefficient of plastic and the etched Plano roof walk is different enough over time to break the bond if ACC is used.

Jerry,
Thanks!  I've got cheaters from Walgreens working for me now, but will have to break out the optivisor I think.  Also, that launching of eyebolts has been the biggest problem, even with needle-tipped tweezers.  Maybe that's the wrong type to use?
I'll definitely look at another glue for the walkway; I make a super mess with CA glue, anyway.  So, either Canopy Glue or Aileen's Tacky glue will be tried.  We shall see, after the holidays.  Happy Turkey Day!
R/,
Norm