D&RGW K-27 #460

Started by Graffen, March 17, 2018, 08:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graffen

Westside models K-27 #460 in HOn3 dismantled in preparation for painting.
These engines are like Swiss watches in their build quality.
A pure joy to work with.
I have prepared it for LED lights in both the front and rear headlights.
It will get a Soundtraxx DCC sound decoder with a sugar cube speaker.
The D&RGW #460 is a very odd engine. It was never modernized to piston valves, neither did it get a shortened smokebox.
The version I'm painting will represent how it looked in the mid -30's.
It will now get a bath in some acetone before being sandblasted.
I will then paint it in Scalecote 1 engine black that will be baked in the oven for an hour or so...

tct855

Whoa!

There sure is a lot of shiny pieces there.  I sure hope you know how to solder it all back together again.  I'll be watching, I always wanted to learn how to build a real brass engine.  Don't forget to list the details on this build.  Will this model run on A/c or Dc or DCS or Dcc?   Thanx Thom...

GPdemayo

Neat engine Graffen.....looking forward to seeing your completed paint job.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Graffen

My K-27 in Hon3 is painted and decaled.
The #460 is an odd individual.
It's the only K27 that looked like this, with long smoke box, spoked leading truck wheels and slide valves.
However, there were no correct number stickers on my decal sheet ...
I found an old decal sheet with numbers, it was unfortunately so brittle that the first decal I tested was disintegrated when I put it in the water ...
I sprayed dullcote on the sheet, and then there was no problem with that anymore.
The locomotive is test run in analogue and works as well as it did before painting.
Now it's time for weathering it, installing the lights and a sound decoder.

tct855

This is a very nicely done model Sir.  Look forward to seeing the next stage.  Thanx Thom...

Lynnb

Really nice engine, can't say I've ever seen the inside of a brass engine before.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Graffen

I'm ready to install sound in my K27.
Unfortunately the Soundtraxx Econami 100 isn't currently available.
When searching my own stash, I found a Loksound V4 micro though...
I have just downloaded the latest sound for the K27, and my God what a lot of sounds and functions!
This might actually be very good.

Graffen

Test drive of the newest addition to the fleet. A brass Westside models K-27 in HOn3. I have painted and weathered it as well as installed a sound decoder. The decoder is a Loksound V4. Some adjustments remain to be done, but after the auto tuning, the motor works well.

tct855

Very cool sounds huh!  I like it!!!  Damn fine job if I say so myself.  ;D    Thanx Thom...

Graffen

Hi all, this is some pics I took of my newly finished K-27 #460.

Lynnb

That there is a beautiful thing. Nice. :)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

GPdemayo

Beautiful steamer Graffen.....great job.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tct855

Excellent modeling G.  Very realistic weathering.  Who makes those figures you used?  Thanx Thom...

Graffen

Quote from: tct855 on March 26, 2018, 09:32:14 PM
Excellent modeling G.  Very realistic weathering.  Who makes those figures you used?  Thanx Thom...
Thanks.
The engineer is some that I cannibalized from a Bachmann locomotive, the fireman is from Woodland scenics.