The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I went to Hobby Lobby with the Babe while she looked for a picture frame. I drifted over to the craft section and found the perfect item for the "push/pull" knobs.

This is a product from Woodpile, called Shaker Pegs and are one inch long.

Once the fascia is painted, I'll paint the knobs white and glue them in place.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also added another PECO #6 turnout on the main. This turnout goes to the north end of the double track icing platform.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Fast forward and the turnout in now installed.

The space between the second and third level is just over 19 inches. This makes it more difficult to install Tortoise turnouts under the third level. I came up with a solution that makes it very easy to install the Tortoises.

I take a 3 ft. piece of .032 Music Wire and make a small 90 degree bend in one end. I take the other end and feed it, from the top, through the hole in the PECO throwbar.

The 90 degree bend keeps it from going past the throwbar from the top.

I then secure it to the Tortoise as shown below.

I use hot glue, adding it to the top of the Tortoise, and then position it under the hole. I make sure it is centered prior to the glue drying. You have about 15 seconds to get it right. I make a few practice runs of positioning the Tortoise prior to adding the glue.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I use the 8 pin blue connector on the bottom of the Tortoise 8 pins. This way I can prewire the blue connector and then add it to the bottom of the Tortoise.

The next photo shows the two power wires (on the outsides), the four signal wires (red/green) and the two black wires.The two black wires go to one of the buss lines.

I then push the blue connector up onto the bottom of the Tortoise.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then check to make sure the Tortoise is powered and is under the control of the Digitrax DS64 switch decoder. ONce I'm satisfied with the turnout operation, I use the Dremel cut off disc and cut the .032 Music Wire as shown.

I then add the signal wires from the blue connector to the signal wires on the signal.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Nothing hurts my aging back more than getting down and pulling wires under the layout. My solution for pulling the Tortoise power wires is to use a 6 wire phone cable. I got just under 500 feet from the Army Navy Surplus store for $10.00.

When I pull this cable, I'm pulling three sets in one instead of one at a time.

I use this exclusively for wiring the Tortoise motors.

I think I've already used around 300 feet.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'll pull the cable to the longest run, turnout, and use a pair to power that turnout. I'll then cut the extra for the second turnout and do the same for the third.

I'll add more to the thread in the next few days.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Your wiring is always so neat. Mine looks like a bowl of spaghetti.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jimmillho

All this wiring from the guy who once was afraid of ANY wiring. :o :o :o :o

Awesome job Tom.

Jim

MAP

Mark

NKP768

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

You are moving right along. Keep the photos coming.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 13, 2019, 06:46:34 PM
Your wiring is always so neat. Mine looks like a bowl of spaghetti.

Curt,

Thank you for the compliment. However, what you don't see will scare ya. My wiring may not really be neat but it is functional and operational. These are the 110 wires from the 11 Ds64's which in turn controls the power to the Tortoise motors. 8)

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on June 13, 2019, 07:48:52 PM
All this wiring from the guy who once was afraid of ANY wiring. :o :o :o :o

Awesome job Tom.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. And, I've learned a few things over the past 30 years as well. :-X :-X

Oh, and thank you my friend for the support.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com