The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

The track and cork in the upper left is not permanently in place.

The new short section is in place and smooth as can be.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on May 29, 2019, 07:16:08 PM
Great fix for the track issue.

Curt,

Thank you, I'll have another update later this afternoon.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I decided to remove a turnout from just past the Great Divide Bridge. This track was going to a small industry, Hiram Bros. Wholesale Meats. You may remember this from the F&SM layout of George Sellios.

Yes, I have the kit! George never released this kit. It was put together, in kit form, by someone and I bought one of two offered on Ebay for $75.00 way back in 1990's. I have no idea who has the other one and I've never seen it on anyone else's layout. I may put it on Ebay and take a second retirement from the proceeds. 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

Here is where the turnout was located.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also decided to add the caboose/cabeese track on the south end of the Yard at Summit. In the next photo you can see the cork is in place and pins are holding it until the glue dries. Fast forward and the pins were removed and the cork sanded and leveled.

The caboose track will hold up to seven cabeese.

This next view is of the south end of the yard. The squares below the rails are Kadee uncouplers.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used a few freight cars to determine how many freight cars the yard would hold. I counted 110 if the yard is at full capacity. Of course, I'm stating now this will be a working yard and not a storage one.

For an overall view of the yard and mainline on the east side, refer to the next photo. The length of the east side is 40 feet.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Same view with four cabeese on the track.

Looking south, the track on the right will lead to a car repair shop.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

So Tom, the track work is coming along quite nicely.  How many feet of mainline track are you going to have and the total amount of track?
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

Great job Tom. Is it all powered yet? You do need a Pennsy cabin car! LOL.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on May 31, 2019, 07:40:20 PM
So Tom, the track work is coming along quite nicely.  How many feet of mainline track are you going to have and the total amount of track?

Steve,

Thank you for stopping in for a look see. Your question about the total feet of mainline is a tricky one. At the moment, the second and third levels both have approximately 130 feet of mainline. The Ovalix has 260 feet. The staging level has it's own 130 feet plus another 300 feet of storage.

So the mainline on all levels including the Ovalix is a guesstimate of at around 650 feet. Add another 50 for the center isle. No track has been laid on the third level center isle. This doesn't include any yard trackage or siding.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on May 31, 2019, 09:16:55 PM
Great job Tom. Is it all powered yet? You do need a Pennsy cabin car! LOL.

Curt,

Thanks my friend. The feeders will be added in the next few days. I do have two cabin cars, one on the layout and one in storage drawer. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

It's great to see new track work on your layout Tom.  More space to fill with structures and scenery.  ;)  It keeps us going my friend.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Tom its looking really good!  I know you have a long way to go but its all coming together in those pictures!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln