The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

MAP

Nice scenery re-fresh Tom!  Amazing what a little bit of scenery "scraps" can do to a scene.  4900 pics?   :o Wow!
Mark

ReadingBob

I thought it looked great before but wow!   :o  What a difference!  Love it. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Fantastic work Tom.  Every layer makes a BIG difference. I "Love it", too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Tom beautiful work.  Love the extra dandruff!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 07, 2019, 05:44:41 PM
Looks great Tom. Can't wait to see everything on Saturday.

Curt,

Thanks, glad you got to see it Saturday.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on November 08, 2019, 06:12:05 AM
Nice scenery re-fresh Tom!  Amazing what a little bit of scenery "scraps" can do to a scene.  4900 pics?   :o Wow!

Bob,

Thank you as well. Updating more scenery is on the list for the coming months. Yep, 4900 - it's actually a little more than that as some weren't numbered.

Tom ;D

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on November 08, 2019, 09:43:31 AM
Fantastic work Tom.  Every layer makes a BIG difference. I "Love it", too.

John,

I appreciate the comment. More scenery updates later.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on November 08, 2019, 02:18:53 PM
Tom beautiful work.  Love the extra dandruff!!

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you. It paid this time to deep all the extra stuff/"dandruff".

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I spray painted the three highway bridge road sections with full strength Floquil Concrete. Unfortunately, I can't find the pictures so I guess I accidently deleted them. :-[

Anyway, while the paint was drying on the road sections I decided to tackle some freight car repairs.

Several months ago, Curt brought some freight cars over that an older gent wanted to sell. I bought three ACL hoppers for I think $5.00 each.  I guess I can say they were more of a challenge than anything as I have about four hours of labor in the three.

It took me a good hour to soak the glue and ballast out of the hoppers. Not sure what he used to glue in the ballast but it was a task to get them as clean as I did.

For the coupler pockets, he didn't use graphite but instead some sort of gear grease or vaseline. I finally gave up and cut the couple pockets off. I then used CAA glue to attach new Kadee #5 coupler pockets on the underframes.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I replaced the plastic wheel sets with Inter Mountain HO scale 33" metal wheels. I then adjusted the car height so the couplers were at the correct NMRA coupler height.

I then adjusted the couplers so they fit over the HO Code 83 uncoupler magnet.

I also made repairs to a few others that didn't require more than coupler adjustments or new couplers.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was going through a box of freight cars and found this gem.

Train Miniatures came out with this some 30 years ago and it took me that long to put it together. This was no walk in the park either.

The truck bolster holes didn't fit the underframe tabs and had to be filed to open the holes. The drop bay doors were not a perfect fit and needed some filing as well. I replaced the wheels with new Inter Mountain wheel sets and adjusted the couplers and gladhands

All in all, it was worth the time to have a V&O hopper on the Atlantic and Southern RR.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the paint dried and cured on the road sections, I taped the road with blue painters tape.

I then spray painted the side and bridge supports with full strength Floquil Aged concrete.

These were set aside to dry and cure.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then sprayed painted the steel bridge with Tamiya Silver, #PS12.

I hung the bridge to dry and cure.

I should have more updates tomorrow.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com