Builders in Scale Getz Gas

Started by SteveCuster, August 07, 2019, 11:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Steve,

I agree with the others, very nicely done. Getz is a neat little kit, I had fun building mine and gave it to a friend for his layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

Small update today..

I wanted to make a concrete parking lot for under this structure and the diner. I framed it out with some scrap wood first.

I added some pretty soupy plaster. I used a wet sponge to smooth it out.

I pulled the stripwood frame off before the plaster fully cured.

I started carving some sidewalks in the area next to the cobblestone road.

I carved the expansion joints in the main concrete area.

I painted the concrete with a light gray chalk craft paint. In the past I've had a really hard time painting concrete roads with craft paint without it coming up with a little sheen. The chalk paint dries flatter than the normal craft paint.

I used the George Sellios method of charcoal briquet dust to weather it.

I added the 2 structures but they are not glued yet. I wanted to build the little stairs and porches so I can get a better idea of placement before I secure them.

Thanks for checking in.
Steve Custer

Jerry

Nice build.

I was just on your blog very nice indeed.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Very well done. Like the colors you used.

Karl

Opa George

Steve, nice results on the concrete areas.  About how thick is that layer of soupy plaster?
--George

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

MAP

Mark

SteveCuster

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

George, the plaster is about the thickness of a scale 6x6.

Since the last update I've added many details and mostly finished up the diorama. My wife had another baby the beginning of August  so that slowed my progress down quite a bit.

I added lots of details around the structure.

The acetylene gang casting in the front of the fence is a failed experiment in casting my own parts. I still wanted to use the casting but the top was all air bubbles and ruined so I made a tarp out of tissue to cover the area that looks bad.

I didn't add any details to the front because it won't be visible on the layout.

This is how the whole scene fits together. The diorama will also double as an access pop-out of the layout. The background building is BIS Pitkin City Hall I recently did a build thread for. The diner is from FSM Roadside Delights. I built it a few years ago but didn't document it.

This is how it fits into the overall scene on the layout.

Thanks for following along.

Steve Custer

Dennis Bourey

Steve, You did a amazing job!!!!...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

cuse

I say it about all of your builds...fantastic, particularly your eye for color and weathering- it all blends together so nicely! Great job!

John

fsmcollector67

Steve,
Another outstanding build...

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.