Builders in Scale Pitkin City Hall

Started by SteveCuster, August 05, 2019, 09:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Good morning everyone,

I just finished up building Builders in Scale Pitkin City Hall. Here are some photos of the completed kit.

This whole scene will be removable from the layout to allow access to the rear track. This is how it fits into the scene. I'm still working out the front area but I have the diner from FSM Roadside Delights and maybe another small building that I may use in front of the road. I'm not really thinking of this area as an access hatch but more something I can remove if I really need to with minimal damage. Obviously this picture was taken while the ground cover was still wet and most of the details hadn't been added.

This was my first kit I've built from Builders in Scale. I always thought of them as something similar to Campbells or one of the other older kit manufacturers but they are really closer to Fine Scale Miniatures in quality of components and kit design. The castings were all excellent and all the parts fit together very well. I'm not sure why I overlooked them for so long. Most of the kits can be picked up for a good price on Ebay too.

I already picked up BIS Weiry and Sons and Getz Gas to build for the layout. Getz Gas might fit in front here next to the diner.

I have more step by step of this build on my website at https://scalemodelworkshop.com/builders-in-scale-pitkin-city-hall/

Thanks for checking in. I'm going to start Getz Gas today. It looks like a easy quick kit to build.

-Steve
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

fsmcollector67

Steve,
as always a great build...

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Lynnb

Beautiful scene, putting it in the side of a hill really makes it.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Very well done. I like how it is put into the scenery. As I sad just beautifully done.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

I wish I could take credit for deciding to build it into a hillside but it's the way this particular kit is designed.

The rear is designed to side 1 1/2" higher.

Loren, I used the BEST shake shingles for this one based on one of your builds. I think it was a copy of FSM freight depot you had done. I liked it so much I bought a few packs of the shingles. They work well and the self-adhesive doesn't come off if you weather with alcohol or solvent.
Steve Custer

Mark Dalrymple

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Dennis Bourey

Steve, I really like what you did with this kit. I like the way it's on a hill like that. looks perfect.........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Great work! I also love how it fits into the landscape.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

richbeau

Beautiful build!

I agree with you about Builders in Scale kits.
--Rich

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

JimF

Steve,

Beautiful, both your build of the kit, and the scene itself.

Back when I was into narrow gauge, I built the BiS GW Nichols kit. You're right, they are very well designed kits, fun builds.

Jim

MAP

Looks great Steve!  Like others have mentioned the building & scenery are beautiful!
Mark

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

I agree looks just great.

Karl