Whats the difference ?

Started by Dennis Bourey, October 18, 2019, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Hi Guy's, What the difference between transfer tape that Jimmy sell's and masking tape? I never had the privilege of working with it yet. And I like to learn the benefits of transfer tape vs masking tape. Thanks Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jerryrbeach

Dennis,

Transfer tape is actually an adhesive strip that comes on a roll.  You unroll it, apply the sticky side to where you want the adhesive, a roof card, wall, back of a paper sign. You peel the backing strip off to expose the other side of the adhesive strip.  Then you apply whatever you want, roll roofing, shingles, etc. directly onto the adhesive.  One caution:  you need to get your alignment exactly right, the adhesive does not allow you to slide or adjust your roofing paper or whatever after it is applied. 

If you search through one of Reading Bob's build threads you should find where he has used it and describes its use.  I usually cut it overlength with scissors then trim it to shape with a new X-Acto blade before removing the backing.  I also remove the backing strips only as needed, not all at once.  HTH.
Jerry

ReadingBob

Jerry summed it up really well Dennis.  Here are a few pictures that may help  out.

Here I'm putting the 3M Transfer tape on a roof card.

I flip the card over and trim it to fit the roof like Jerry described.

When you're ready you peel off the carrier and what you're left with a cardstock roof with that has the sticky adhesive on it.  It essentially turns the cardstock roof into a piece of tape.  Then you can add your roofing material directly to it.  No glue so no glue oozing out onto the surface of the roofing material (or getting on your fingers and transferring to things).

Postal Karl also uses it to attach signs to walls.  Same concept.  Just cover the back of the sign with the transfer tape, peel off the carrier and then position the sign where you want it and burnish it in place.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Dennis Bourey

Thanks Guy's now I understand :) .......Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Dennis:

I use double transfer tape for a lot of stuff. Mostly on roofs and signs. You can't beat the stuff. I way more friendly than glue. I've been using it for years.

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Karl, Thank you very much. Time to buy a row from Jimmy.........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)