Stripwood storage and organization

Started by stan.b.shields, May 30, 2017, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan.b.shields

Quote from: Random on May 31, 2017, 12:44:06 PM
I use mailing tubes taped together for longer strip wood and parts. 

Nice, I really like that cabinet, thanx for posting the link!

For the smaller more fragile strip wood I use an Ikea ALEX cabinet with wide shallow drawers.  This is also nice for tools.

Here is a link to the cabinet:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 31, 2017, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: deemery on May 31, 2017, 09:33:35 AM
I'm old enough to remember when computers came with manuals, and those manuals were enclosed in nice sturdy slipcover boxes...

dave

Dang, you are old!   :D :D :D 

I remember when computers, and software, came with manuals too!   :o

I remember slide rules.   :o Now that I think about it, I think they were faster than my PC with Windows 10.

I had one of the first PC's in my office at Michigan Tech. as a grad student.  Students would make appointments for my office hours just to see it.

Sorry - we got off topic.

The cardboard tubes in the picture above is what I use for my strip wood .
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

I found one of those NESL milled car roof 24" strips with a price tag on it, $.29 (1980 or so)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Random

Dave -

I bought those milled car parts around 1990 when I had big plans to scratch build cars.  Yup, big big plans.....   :D

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

jimmillho

Quote from: Random on May 31, 2017, 06:42:07 PM
Dave -

I bought those milled car parts around 1990 when I had big plans to scratch build cars.  Yup, big big plans.....   :D

I did that also, now can't find all of them

Jim

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey Dennis:

Very nice looks like something you made??? Or did you find it somewhere?

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Karl, I just found it and gonna build it as soon as I get to lowes and buy the wood and tubes.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

tooStupid

I looked into that type of design and found out it took much desk space, collected too much dust and the strip wood dries out too fast then gets brittle while fading the colour. While the design lets you get easy access to the strip wood, it does not handle short pieces well. I'm not sure how it would address the tipping issue?

To be honest (if I am not already) I usually collect all of the strip wood once during a project and use the scrap bin for as many things I can.  (Plus the tubes are expensive here)

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)