Howe Truss Bridge

Started by sdrees, May 18, 2019, 07:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdrees

I started construction of a Hunterline Howe Truss Bridge.  It will go on the layout as shown in the picture below.

The kit is for a 170' Bridge but I only need a 150' bridge and therefor eliminated two panels in the middle.  What I did was to take a set of plans and cut the two middle panels out and taped the remainder of the plans back together since the plans are used as a template for the construction of the bridge components.

Box Cover

Kit Contents

What the completed Bridge looks like

Plans

Installing /spacers between timbers

Chord Assembly

Completed Bottom Chords

Completed Track Bed

Completed Truss

Close up of Truss

Standing Truss

Steve Drees
SP RR

Jerry

A fine job your doing there!

Did you use there stain??

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MAP

Looks great Steve!  I like the color you used to stain it.  I'm thinking of picking up the shorter version of this for my layout.  Any tricky parts so far with the assembly?  Keep those progress pics coming!
Mark

Zephyrus52246

Looks like a complex build.  I also like the color you're using.

Jeff

PRR Modeler

The bridge is looking great so far.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Bruce Oberleitner

Wow!  That's coming along quite fast.  Looks great!

;D ;D 8)

GPdemayo

That's a great looking bridge Steve.....I'm looking forward to your build.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

sdrees

Well Bruce, I wish it was that fast , but I have been working on it for several weeks now.  I could never be as fast as Karl. The project isn't that tricking at all, it is just very repetitious.  You have to use the templates provided to get everything lined up properly and I went to the reproduction print shop and had copies of the plans made so that I wouldn't ruin the originals because I use a lot of double sided cellophane tape to hold everything in place.

There are also hundreds of nut and bolt castings to install.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

Ouch! I feel your pain with the NBW's.
Curt Webb

Bruce Oberleitner

Well, it still looks fantastic. 

Those nut and bolt castings do take quite a bit of time to install. 

BTW, none of us are as fast as Karl.  Just saying.  He's beyond amazing.

;D ;D :o

deemery

One trick I've heard for doing a lot of NBW is to cut them flush, rather than drilling holes.  Then dip into CA and place them.  I think this works better with larger NBW, the small ones are too likely to slip off the tweezers...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

sdrees

So this is where I assembled the trusses by adding the floor beams.  I have installed one of the pair of floor beams at each location.  All the bricks and steel weights are to make sure everything is square during the process. I have to add the portal bracing to help keep things square.

Several closeup shots.

Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

That is a really complex build and you're doing a great job.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looks like lots of work. It's coming along quite nicely.

Karl

sdrees

Thanks Curt and Karl for stopping by.  Yesterday I installed the tie rods between the bottom chords and it is really tough to drill through the chords and get the tie rods aligned properly.  Those won't show so much, but now I have do the top chords and I want them to look right.
Steve Drees
SP RR