Fine Scale Miniatures Jewel Series #10 Avram's Bakery for the S&S RR

Started by ReadingBob, January 04, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: Blazeman on June 20, 2019, 01:00:31 PM
I really enjoy your build narratives and the photos go oh so well with your commentary.

Preaching to the choir, there are some outstanding "builders" on this site who are similarly adept at sharing the how-to information in understandable formats.

Hi Blazeman,

Thank you so much for the kind comments.  I really appreciate them.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: postalkarl on June 20, 2019, 03:53:37 PM
Hey Bob:

It's looking real fine so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the kind words my friend!  Your build of Avram's was an inspiration for me to get started on this one plus you set some pretty lofty goals for how I want it to look when finished.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on June 20, 2019, 04:32:01 PM
Bob, wonderful thread--as good as sitting in a live workshop with a master builder. Love your work.
--George

Hi George,

Thanks!  Right back at ya' too.  I really enjoy your build threads as well.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 20, 2019, 05:12:33 PM
Really nice Bob.

Hi Curt,

Thanks!  I hope you get a chance to see it when I'm finished.  I'll bring it down to Tom's so everyone can get a chance to look it over before I ship it to John.  Not sure when I'll be finished with it though.  Still a lot to do.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on June 20, 2019, 08:38:37 PM
Bob

I just got caught up with this build thread - it is looking fantastic.

Thanks John!  Still plugging away at it but I'm pleased with how it's coming along.  There's still a lot of detail to be added to the main structure once I get it installed on the base (porches, loading docks, roof vents, etc.).  It's been a lot of fun so far!   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on June 20, 2019, 10:45:51 PM
Bob

Wonderful job looking forward to more progress!!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  So am I!  I've been moving kind of slow on this one.  I hope I can pick up some speed soon.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

MAP

Great work Bob!  As usual I'm appreciative of your detailed descriptions and photos as you build.  Very helpful.
Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on June 21, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 20, 2019, 05:12:33 PM
Really nice Bob.

Hi Curt,

Thanks!  I hope you get a chance to see it when I'm finished.  I'll bring it down to Tom's so everyone can get a chance to look it over before I ship it to John.  Not sure when I'll be finished with it though.  Still a lot to do.   :D

You guys are all welcome to come up and see it planted on the S&S RR, too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

I'm just not sure there are any words or adjectives left that accurately describe Reading Bob's builds, his talent and craftsmanship.

As a common wordsmith, I'm at a loss.

Fantastic build Bob, just wonderful.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

dick green

Ditto what tom said. You do with pictures what George Sellios does with words. I always learn from your builds.
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 21, 2019, 06:21:48 PM
I'm just not sure there are any words or adjectives left that accurately describe Reading Bob's builds, his talent and craftsmanship.

As a common wordsmith, I'm at a loss.

Fantastic build Bob, just wonderful.

Tom ;D

Thank you very much for the kind words my friend.   :)  I'm slow but eventually I get there.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: dick green on June 22, 2019, 07:46:08 AM
Ditto what tom said. You do with pictures what George Sellios does with words. I always learn from your builds.

Thank you Dick!    :D  I really appreciate the feedback.  I've learned so much from George via his kits as well as others on the forum and at the EXPO's.  I'm happy to share whatever I can.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Okay, back to it.  I uploaded these pictures a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to updating the thread.  I think I fixed my camera issue so I shouldn't have any more missed pictures due to the memory card not being recognized.   :)

After lining up on rail on the edge of a tie and using a gauge to space the second rail appropriately I measured the distance between the second rail and the end of the tie.  I divided that by 2 so and used that the spiked one rail down that far in from the end of the tie so my rails would be centered over the ties.  This is probably the last time I'll get to do something like this on the kitchen counter.  That counter is now gone and we're waiting for the new on to be installed.  If I try doing this on the new counter I'll probably be homeless.   ;D

Using a code 83 gauge I spiked down the second rail.  The pros and cons of hand laying track vs. sectional track would be an interesting topic for a thread of it's own. 

Getting closer to having to glue the main structure down to the base so I started working on the lighting.  I had a vision, in my head, of how I might be able to do this so I started constructing the components to go inside.  I use a black photo mounting board I cut into pieces along with LED's and copper tape to make it happen.

Basically I lay the circuit out with the copper tape, drill wholes through the tape and board where I want the LED to be positioned, push the legs of the LED through the holes, bend them to a 90 degree angle and trim off the excess.  After soldering the legs to the copper tape I cut out the section of the tape between the legs.

Where I have two boards join one another I had planned ahead so the tape would line up.  Then I use a small piece of copper tape to make sure the two connect.  I do solder this little piece in place.

My 'vision' comes together!  In the words of Dr. Frankenstein "It's alive! It's alive!"   :P  8)

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

This is how I plan on holding the two lighting circuits in place in the structure.  There's an interior wall.  One on each side and office binder clip.  Now I know how big an opening I have to cut in the base to be able to access the lighting circuits if they need to be removed for repair.

On the roof top vents.  I airbrushed these with Floquil Silver and then gave them a wash of AK Interactive Gray wash.  Now it's time to add some rust.  I opted to use oil paints for this.  I don't want these to be 100% rust.  Only patches of rust with silver still visible.  Oil paints are great because they're very forgiving.  If you over do it or don't like the looks just dip a brush in mineral spirits (odorless) and wash it off.  Lot's of working time.

A very light brushing, downward, with a brush dipped in mineral spirits will give some nice rust color streaks too.

After drilling the hole I use a file to angle it to match the roof (oriented as it would need to be in place - that's important).

Then I cut the head off the brass nail and glued it in place in the hole I drilled.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net