Baltimore Amoco Station - Finished Pics

Started by restocarp, July 23, 2020, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Wonderful build Matt..... 8)

I remember a car trip to New Jersey with the family when I was a kid and we accidentally went thru downtown Baltimore after my Dad missed a turn on the highway that would have taken us around the city. It was the first time I had seen this many row houses and they seemed to go on for miles and miles. It was such an amazing sight for a little kid, it kept me quiet for quite a spell.....much to the relief of my parents.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Oldguy

Very, very well done.  I too remember going through Baltimore in the late 60's looking for Fort McHenry.  But then a lot of those row house we past were still burnt down shells. It amazed me how could people live so close together.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Quote from: Oldguy on July 23, 2020, 11:44:11 AM
Very, very well done.  I too remember going through Baltimore in the late 60's looking for Fort McHenry.  But then a lot of those row house we past were still burnt down shells. It amazed me how could people live so close together.
Haha, here in the Netherlands probably 40-50% of housing is row houses even nowadays.
Modern rowhouses

60's rowhousing like I live in. Most families want to live in houses like these , they are bundled into blocks of streets full of them , where speed limits are 20 miles an hour , lots of green parks and playgrounds . Myself I would rather live outside the city , but alas I can't afford to.

I love photo's, don't we all.

bparrish

Matt....

What a great diorama.....

You have sooooo much going on there.

The dilapidated lean to roof is just great.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

Oops , sorry I got carried away Matt, I'll remove my post if you want me to.

restocarp

Quote from: Janbouli on July 24, 2020, 03:30:21 AM
Oops , sorry I got carried away Matt, I'll remove my post if you want me to.

No, no! I am an architecture and urban planning buff, so thanks for posting!

Matt

ACL1504

Matt,

This is a wonderful diorama. You nailed the row houses as well. It all is just perfect.

My wife grew up in Baltimore and lived in a row house. It had been her Great-Grandmother's home as well. The family generations just kept living there. I said all that to tell you this. I was in the basement and found an old deed to the house. It was built in 1880. Just 16 years after the Civil War.

Finding the deed was amazing in that the house was built when there were no cars, electricity, paved roads and the old kitchen was on the back porch to keep the heat out of the house. And, the back yards were very small as you modeled.

Again, fantastic build sir.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Janbouli:

Thanks for the great pictures. Very nice there.

Karl

Janbouli

Yw Karl .
Matt I absolutely love the rubbish , looks very natural.

Mark Dalrymple

Superb modelling, Matt!

Love all the timber work in the sign.  Great stucco and attention to detail, and its great to have a prototype photo to see how well you achieved the atmosphere.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Matt

Great modeling - you captured the scene.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

Quote from: Janbouli on July 24, 2020, 05:31:49 PM
Yw Karl .
Matt I absolutely love the rubbish , looks very natural.

What a hobby!  You even get compliments on your trash!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

vinceg

The stucco is brilliant. The brickwork, Coke sign.....the definition of everything holds up to scrutiny even in close-ups. Gorgeous work!
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee